Difference: Marco vs. Metacity, Compton vs Compositing?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TL7

Difference: Marco vs. Metacity, Compton vs Compositing?

Post by TL7 »

In the Linux desktop settings, these desktop window manager modes can be accessed:
* Marco
* Marco + Compton
* Marco + Compositing
* Metacity
* Metacity + Compton
* Metacity + Compositing
* Compiz.

What are relevant differences between Marco and Metacity, and Compton to Compositing to none of them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Difference: Marco vs. Metacity, Compton vs Compositing?

Post by absque fenestris »

That's a good question:
On simply ALL current operating systems, transparent, half-transparent, sticky, wobbling, shaded, glued, full-screen-opening etc. windows annoy me.
That's about what all these things do. With MATE: Compiz and Compositing are switched off - and no annoying windows...

The deeper meaning of all this window behavior remains closed to me. As far as possible all this stuff is turned off - on ALL operating systems.

When I want to go to kindergarten, I play with children or my cats.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:28 am That's a good question:... The deeper meaning of all this window behavior remains closed to me. As far as possible all this stuff is turned off - on ALL operating systems.

When I want to go to kindergarten, I play with children or my cats.
I agree 100% ... i always turn off all DE compositing if possible and if it's not possible I'm going to use another DE. In Windows 7 I always turned off Aero too. You're using graphic card power for ... what?

If you must have the eye candy, the only suggestion I'd make wuold be to use the compositor that came installed with your DE. If you don't really know what you're doing installing others is going to cause problems.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Rubin_Farr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rubin_Farr »

Compositing is a good way to stop screen tearing. It's not just eye candy.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, TL7.

Have not found a perfect answer, yet; but would like to point you to this Ubuntu-Mate community thread for a start: Which compositor is the most suitable for me?

A quick note on the 2 "versus" pairs in your thread title:
Marco is a fork of Metacity.
Compton can do GPU hardware compositing. So it is a compositor. The other well-known compositor is compiz.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “MATE”