[SOLVED] mint 18.3 mate-panel applets missing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danneauxs

[SOLVED] mint 18.3 mate-panel applets missing

Post by danneauxs »

Yup, I screwed things up. 2 week old install of mint mate 18.3. I was futzing around and trying to get things visually the way I wanted them. Anyway for one reason or another I installed MATE TWEAK and something happened to my panels. Of course I had to see what all the setting did. Under Interface>panel layout you can select Fedora or Gnome2. tried them both which of course wiped out the applets had on my panels. I had to add them back. But, some applets didn't work anymore. The netspeed applet was available in the list but wouldn't add to the panel. On a reboot I got a message about a problem with the applet and did I want to delete it. Answered no several times then yes once to get rid of the notice. In either instance I could not add it, and of course not after I clicked yes. The system monitor is not even in the list of applets to add to the panel. It just isn't there.

I tried a reset in terminal, a reset and restored...

I even tried removing and reinstalling mate-panel. Can I fix this or do I need to just bite the bullet and reinstall mint before I get too happy with the rest of my settings and programs?

Not sure what info is needed to troubleshoot this so I'll be happy to provide whatever I need to provide.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: mint 18.3 mate-panel applets missing

Post by Sir Charles »

Hi danneauxs,

I am not that well wandered in MATE but I took a quick look into Synaptic and I found a couple of packages which can be relevant to the issue at hand. Namelymate-appletsandlibmate-panel-applet-4-1. Have a look at them and decide if it is worthwhile to reinstall these and see if it will resolve the issue.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --reinstall mate-applets libmate-panel-applet-4-1
Good luck!
danneauxs

Post by danneauxs »

thanks Marziano. I'll look into them. Never really did anything with SPM before. Time to learn something new. I'll follow up when I'm done.

Danneauxs

Edit: Worked. Reinstalled mate-applets and fixed it all. I didn't realize that reinstalling mate-panel wouldn't take care of that. Now I will know to check out SPM (spam? LOL) to try to fix things.

Thanks again.
Danneauxs
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

That's great. I am :D it worked out.
SP(A)M is a great tool when you get a hang of it.

Cheers
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Congratulations on solving the problem. Dont forget to mark the original post [SOLVED}

Return to “MATE”