Mint 19 Theming issues.

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kilz
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 19 Theming issues.

Post by Kilz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 am

This doesnt just happen on Mate, it happens on Cinnamon as well, installed in separate partitions. The same problems do not happen on Ubuntu Bionic Mate.

The cursor themes dont work. You cant change from the standard white cursor. If you select another theme, the standard white cursor shows but wait (spinning ball) and resize will be what you selected. In Firefox the cursor theme will be what you selected in the web page, but the title bar will show the white cursor.
The themes are linked. You cant choose the controls of one theme and the top window border of another.
A shadow box appears around gkrellm, where none should be. The exact same theme was used on Ubuntu and Mint.

Again none of these problems happen in Ubuntu Bionic Mate, the base for Mine Mate 19, These were not present in the original Mint 19 install, they are the result of updates. Mint 19 is fully up to date on updates.
Attachments
border 2.png
Ubuntu Bionic Mate
border 2.png (38.84 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
border.png
Linux Mint 19 Mate
border.png (42.41 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 19 Theming issues.

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:32 am

Kilz wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 am
This doesnt just happen on Mate, it happens on Cinnamon as well, installed in separate partitions. The same problems do not happen on Ubuntu Bionic Mate.

The cursor themes dont work. You cant change from the standard white cursor. If you select another theme, the standard white cursor shows but wait (spinning ball) and resize will be what you selected. In Firefox the cursor theme will be what you selected in the web page, but the title bar will show the white cursor.
The themes are linked. You cant choose the controls of one theme and the top window border of another.
A shadow box appears around gkrellm, where none should be. The exact same theme was used on Ubuntu and Mint.

Again none of these problems happen in Ubuntu Bionic Mate, the base for Mine Mate 19, These were not present in the original Mint 19 install, they are the result of updates. Mint 19 is fully up to date on updates.
I have noticed this as well. In most themes (MATE) it defaults to Adwaita controls, no matter what I tell it.

It seem the implementation of the Control Panel doesn;t recognize GTK-3 and tries to apply themes customization, even though it can't. That is, it still thinks it's under GTK-2, so applied themes just don't worjk correctly.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am

Kilz wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 am

The cursor themes dont work. You cant change from the standard white cursor. If you select another theme,
Running 19 Cinnamon and cursor theme DMZ-black works for me in all themes. Worked with 18.3 Cinnamon as well.

Kilz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kilz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm

After rechecking Cinnamon perhaps the cursor isnt a problem on Cinnamon, but the shade around gkrellm is there.
It also takes forever for the theme changer to load on Cinnamon.
Attachments
border 3.png
border 3.png (77 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Bugs for 19 Beta should be posted on the blog here:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3582
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 am

JerryF wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:36 pm
Bugs for 19 Beta should be posted on the blog here:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3582
Already done. There was a 'fix' for themes in today's "update", but it didn't fix a lot of problems. Any theme marked "blue" results in a totally white screen on both monitors, with the exception being Blue Submarine. There are also other issues that continue even after the update.

I'm sure it will sort out in the bug fixes.

I hope... :wink:
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:48 am

Cinnamox Hearther is a blue theme and works perfectly in 19.

krpovmu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krpovmu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:29 am

I used qt5ct and works fine

Return to “MATE”