Mint 19 Theming issues.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kilz

Mint 19 Theming issues.

Post by Kilz »

This doesnt just happen on Mate, it happens on Cinnamon as well, installed in separate partitions. The same problems do not happen on Ubuntu Bionic Mate.

The cursor themes dont work. You cant change from the standard white cursor. If you select another theme, the standard white cursor shows but wait (spinning ball) and resize will be what you selected. In Firefox the cursor theme will be what you selected in the web page, but the title bar will show the white cursor.
The themes are linked. You cant choose the controls of one theme and the top window border of another.
A shadow box appears around gkrellm, where none should be. The exact same theme was used on Ubuntu and Mint.

Again none of these problems happen in Ubuntu Bionic Mate, the base for Mine Mate 19, These were not present in the original Mint 19 install, they are the result of updates. Mint 19 is fully up to date on updates.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 19 Theming issues.

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Kilz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 am This doesnt just happen on Mate, it happens on Cinnamon as well, installed in separate partitions. The same problems do not happen on Ubuntu Bionic Mate.

The cursor themes dont work. You cant change from the standard white cursor. If you select another theme, the standard white cursor shows but wait (spinning ball) and resize will be what you selected. In Firefox the cursor theme will be what you selected in the web page, but the title bar will show the white cursor.
The themes are linked. You cant choose the controls of one theme and the top window border of another.
A shadow box appears around gkrellm, where none should be. The exact same theme was used on Ubuntu and Mint.

Again none of these problems happen in Ubuntu Bionic Mate, the base for Mine Mate 19, These were not present in the original Mint 19 install, they are the result of updates. Mint 19 is fully up to date on updates.
I have noticed this as well. In most themes (MATE) it defaults to Adwaita controls, no matter what I tell it.

It seem the implementation of the Control Panel doesn;t recognize GTK-3 and tries to apply themes customization, even though it can't. That is, it still thinks it's under GTK-2, so applied themes just don't worjk correctly.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Kilz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 am This doesnt just happen on Mate, it happens on Cinnamon as well, installed in separate partitions. The same problems do not happen on Ubuntu Bionic Mate.

The cursor themes dont work. You cant change from the standard white cursor. If you select another theme,
Running 19 Cinnamon and cursor theme DMZ-black works for me in all themes. Worked with 18.3 Cinnamon as well.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

After rechecking Cinnamon perhaps the cursor isnt a problem on Cinnamon, but the shade around gkrellm is there.
It also takes forever for the theme changer to load on Cinnamon.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Bugs for 19 Beta should be posted on the blog here:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3582
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

JerryF wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:36 pm Bugs for 19 Beta should be posted on the blog here:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3582
Already done. There was a 'fix' for themes in today's "update", but it didn't fix a lot of problems. Any theme marked "blue" results in a totally white screen on both monitors, with the exception being Blue Submarine. There are also other issues that continue even after the update.

I'm sure it will sort out in the bug fixes.

I hope... :wink:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Cinnamox Hearther is a blue theme and works perfectly in 19.
krpovmu

Post by krpovmu »

I used qt5ct and works fine

Return to “MATE”