Mint 19 MATE 64-bit. - Update Manager Not Working <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 19 MATE 64-bit. - Update Manager Not Working <SOLVED>

Post by rbeltz48 »

Just installed on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420. Ver. 5.4.0 of MintUpdate is installed. Icon in top panel shows updates available. Click on it and it shows in the bottom panel. Click on that and nothing happens. Is there a fix for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 19 MATE 64-bit. - Update Manager Not Working

Post by all41 »

Try this:
open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

mintupdate
See if that opens UM
If not post the terminal reply results back to this thread
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I re-installed mintupdate. No change from the desktop or running it in the terminal. All I can do is open Preferences. There is nothing in Synaptic to force an earlier version install. This problem has me stumped.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What actually happens when you try to run it in a terminal? Any error messages? (Don't just answer 'yes', but tell us what they are.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Nothing happens in the Terminal. I enter my password and here's the output if you want to call it that:

rick@Rick-Testing:~$ mintupdate
rick@Rick-Testing:~$
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I ran the LM 19 MATE beta live version and Update Manager works fine. There must be a bug in LM 19 MATE. Has this happened with anyone else? I will install the beta version on another partition and see if the Update Manager still works and then post my findings here later today.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Have you downloaded the latest version? Mint19 is out of beta.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

You apparently misunderstood me. Update Manager works in the beta version but NOT in the latest production version I just downloaded yesterday. I will install the beta version and then test Update Manager again.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Installing the beta is silly. You can confirm on the release live USB/DVD that it works fine. So it's something on your end. I take it you rebooted once since the problem first started happening? Create a new user then and try it there. If it works, problem is your user settings. If it doesn't, problem is something you did to your system since installing.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I found a problem. I installed the beta version. The beta version of Update Manager is 5.3.6 which works. The production version is 5.4.0 which does not work. There must be a bug in 5.4.0 or for some reason something was not installed correctly yesterday. I installed the system and did nothing else except arrange the desktop the way I want it. I will redo the desktop in the beta version and not install 5.4.0. If anyone else has a solution I would like to hear it. This has never happened to me before in more than 6 yrs. of using Mint and more than 12 yrs. of using Linux.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

My suggestion remains the same, create a new user first and try there to make sure it's not user-settings related. On the release version, of course, not the beta.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Specifically what user setting(s) are you referring to?
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19 MATE 64-bit. - Update Manager Not Working <SOLVED>

Post by rbeltz48 »

I have decided to stick with LM 17.3 and 18.3 until LM 19 matures a bit and may not use it at all until 19.3 arrives at the end of 2019. Anyways I was just trying it out on my T420 test box. Case closed.

Return to “MATE”