Cannot arrange icons in Mint 19 Mate panel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lazy and Stupid

Cannot arrange icons in Mint 19 Mate panel

Post by Lazy and Stupid »

Seems like every time anyone updates software these days it becomes more time consuming to use and less useful. Very apparent in Adobe and Microsoft. It literally now takes me three times as many mouse clicks to do what I used to do. Mint is no exception. There seems to be many fewer controls available. Full disclosure: I am a computer application user for getting tasks done not a person who wants spend hours in front of their screen using arcane gibberish (to my ignorant eyes) and therefore I never use the command line and know nothing about it.

Issue #1
I used to be able to arrange the icons in the panel/task bar however it suited me (to maximize work efficiency). That doesn't seem an option any more. Customization of the panel now appears to be essentially nonexistent. Does anyone know of a way to arrange the application icons into a sensible order? I am not talking about the icons for open an active windows.

Issue #2
I don't know what it is called but there is an area to the right on the panel where the time and date is, where the sound control icon also appears but keeps disappearing and then reappearing for no apparent reason. I never use sound so I don't care, BUT, I want to add some icons to that area (including putting the sound control back when it disappears in case I do need it). There does not appear to be anyway to do that. Does anyone know how to do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Xannot arrange icons in Mint 19 Mate panel

Post by gm10 »

#1 right click and uncheck "Lock To Panel"
#2 you cannot add icons to the notification area, and the only sound related icon that should be disappearing is the microphone icon - in fact it only appears when a process is using your microphone.If however the speaker icon is randomly disappearing I don't know, never seen that.
Lazy and Stupid

Re: Cannot arrange icons in Mint 19 Mate panel

Post by Lazy and Stupid »

Thank you for responding. You must have a different version. There is only the speaker symbol, no microphone, and it randomly disappears and then comes back a few days later. Its been back now for two days. Maybe an update fixed a bug,

I tried your suggestion already, in fact I tried every possibility of clicking, checking, and unchecking related to anything on the panel and I cannot control where the icons appear on the panel. I am not talking about the part of the panel where open windows reside. I can put anything anywhere I want there. I am talking about the part next to the menu where the default application icons appear.

But I took a nap and the answer came to me. I'll just delete ALL the icons and then put them back in the order that I want them because when you add one it puts it right next to the menu. Just another example where a useful capability has been taken away and now it takes 5 minutes of drudgery to do the same thing we used to do in a few seconds (this is not unique to Linux).

I wonder if any of the people doing the programming ever use their computers for work other than programming? I'll bet if they did a lot of these capabilities would come back! :D
gm10

Re: Cannot arrange icons in Mint 19 Mate panel

Post by gm10 »

I told you the microphone only shows when something is using it. As I said, I'm unaware of the speaker icon disappearing bug. If you upgraded rather than clean installed I'll just blame that, because it's usually the source of all evil.

I can move the application launchers on the panel just fine. I'm hesitant to call it user error but it probably is. Did I have to mention that after unlocking you have to select the "Move" option?

Return to “MATE”