Before you post please read how to get help
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Security issue] LM19: Desktop won't lock after suspend

Post by fromWinToLin »

randomguy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:05 am
LOL. You're supposed to search the site and look for similar issues.

This isn't a new issue, I reported a similar more than a year ago (viewtopic.php?t=261301) and posted a workaround for this issue in viewtopic.php?f=206&t=282743&p=1597568#p1597568 as have others.

I run XScreenSaver and set it to lock after 5min with Power Management enabled. In Startup Applications I added X-Screensaver. Done.
That isn't a solution: that's duct-taping a problem that needs to be addressed and fixed as a critical issue.

Just like the "solution" to the sluggishness of the Nemo file manager is to install and use Thunar instead. (An issue that has existed since 2015, and only applies to Nemo and Caja, both of which originated as Mint projects and have yet to be resolved.) GNOME Files, Dolphin, Thunar, SpaceFM, and the others do not suffer from this flaw. It looks like it won't be fixed any time soon, considering the pattern of bugs in the Mint project that are years old without being addressed as serious issues.

Most "recent" revival of such an outstanding issue with an integral part of any desktop operating system.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1907

SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SolidState »

Something I discovered around the misbehaving lockscreen phenomenon. I often will connect another computer to my desktop monitor --my firewall/router runs headless but at times I need a console -- to watch boot messages or what-not. So If I patch over the desktop monitor to the firewall machine before the desktop locks, It will never lock automatically again until I reboot the machine, I can logout and that will lock, but logging back in the machine will never lock the screen on its own until reboot. It will suspend though but wakeup directly to the desktop, bypassing the lockscreen.

Bug or Feature?

For me: No big deal just have to pay attention to this detail.

jeenuv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jeenuv »

I upgraded to 19.2, and this seems to have been fixed for me--at least for the use case I reported.

ivanixmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ivanixmint »

This issue still happens in 19.2 fresh install.

Initially, lock after wake from suspend was working fine. However, a few days ago I temporarily disabled screen save to allow recording of a long running desktop application. Afterwards, I enabled the screen saver back as before along with lock. I think this is when it stopped working.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

ivanixmint wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 am
This issue still happens in 19.2 fresh install.

Initially, lock after wake from suspend was working fine. However, a few days ago I temporarily disabled screen save to allow recording of a long running desktop application. Afterwards, I enabled the screen saver back as before along with lock. I think this is when it stopped working.
Hint - if you using Cinnamon there is no need to disable the screensaver or adjust power settings for this type of thing. Add the Inhibit applet to your panel and it will allow you to temporally inhibit power management. including suspend and screen-locking.

Is your screensaver currently not working? If so try running sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME in a terminal to fix ownership issues in your home folder that might be a factor
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

ivanixmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ivanixmint »

@ smurphos thanks for the advice, i will check into it.
I had to have some long time running processes with video recording enabled, so i worried the screensaver thing would interfere.
Now, I have to eat some crow, I just relaized I did not check the box to renable the "Lock screen whenever the screensaver is active"
After doing so, everything works fine again.

Return to “MATE”