Changing Desktop backgrounds, Mint 19, Mate Desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paul42

Changing Desktop backgrounds, Mint 19, Mate Desktop

Post by paul42 »

Hi All,

I am running a fresh install of Mint 19 with the Mate desktop, and everything appears to be working fine except for my backgrounds. I can change the current desktop background, but removing background images or adding new ones to the list are lost as soon as I close the window. The only exception is if I had a new image and set that as my current background, that is then retained.

As far as I know, this is a default install - I don't recall making any changes to themes/etc. I haven't read of anyone else running into this either though. Hoping someone has some ideas,

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Changing Desktop backgrounds, Mint 19, Mate Desktop

Post by all41 »

You can add a new folder of images to choose from, but the default background folder is not changeable.
This may be because they are shared with LightDM and a bad apple could disallow login.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
paul42

Post by paul42 »

Regarding posting a folder - that sounds like a great idea. I cannot see how to do that though. The "Appearance Preferences" dialog, which contains the alternate background images, will not let me select an entire folder, only single images. Should I be looking elsewhere? The options I have found to change the background all bring me back to this same window.

Thanks again,

Paul
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

hi paul,
why not install Variety

Code: Select all

sudo apt install variety
it's a nice wallpaper changer and will auto change the wallpaper at whatever interval you choose.
You can include folders and images of your choice including the mate ones and if you want it will even download wallpaper for various sources automatically.
works really well with Mate, Cinnamon and Xfce.

once you install it you can find it in the menu to launch it. It will automatically launch on reboot.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

paul42 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:18 pm Regarding posting a folder - that sounds like a great idea. I cannot see how to do that though. The "Appearance Preferences" dialog, which contains the alternate background images, will not let me select an entire folder, only single images. Should I be looking elsewhere? The options I have found to change the background all bring me back to this same window.

Thanks again,

Paul
I manually added the folder by navigating File System/usr/share, then right click on backgrounds and open as administrator. Then just drag and drop the folder with the images.
Then right click the desktop and choose 'Change Desktop Background'. Click the Add button, and in the left pane click backgrounds. You will see your new folder there. Open it and select the image you want.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
paul42

Post by paul42 »

Thanks both - I am currently installing Variety, will give that a try.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

what do you mean you can't add wallpapers? open caja go to your wallpapers rightclick on one and set as wallpaper. it will now be added to backgrounds
or control center /appearance / backgrounds click the add button then navigate to your wallpapers select one or more using CTRL or click on one go lower and use shift top select however many you want
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

paul42 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 pm Thanks both - I am currently installing Variety, will give that a try.
Just wondering how did Variety work for you?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
paul42

Post by paul42 »

Sorry for the late response - Variety is working awesome. It is too bad that this is not the default in Mate, but I will take what I can get. Thanks.
Booty

Post by Booty »

kc1di wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:57 pm hi paul,
why not install Variety

Code: Select all

sudo apt install variety
it's a nice wallpaper changer and will auto change the wallpaper at whatever interval you choose.
You can include folders and images of your choice including the mate ones and if you want it will even download wallpaper for various sources automatically.
works really well with Mate, Cinnamon and Xfce.

once you install it you can find it in the menu to launch it. It will automatically launch on reboot.
good luck.
this Variety is very handy
thank you for sharing
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Your Both welcome , Enjoy :)
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I installed Variety but I do not like it. How do I uninstall it or completely disable it?

Return to “MATE”