[SOLVED] UTF-8 fonts not showing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED] UTF-8 fonts not showing

Post by powerhouse »

I've installed LM 19 Mate over my old LM 18.3 Mate OS, preserving my /home directory.

I added 2 additional keyboards: German and Hebrew.

Both keyboards work fine in Libreoffice, and in the terminal window. I can type in any of these languages and the characters are displayed.

However, when I want to save a file in Caja, I can't use any of these keyboards as nothing is shown. I can use the upper case characters on the Hebrew keyboard which are plain English, for example. xed is also not supporting any of these characters.

To see if this is a general problem with Linux Mint 19 Mate, I ran Linux Mint from USB stick and added the keyboards. There they work just fine.

Can anyone give me a clew as to how to solve this problem? I'd hate to have to reinstall everything again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
gm10

Re: UTF-8 fonts not showing

Post by gm10 »

powerhouse wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:25 pm I added 2 additional keyboards: German and Hebrew

Both keyboards work fine in Libreoffice, and in the terminal window. I can type in any of these languages and the characters are displayed.

However, when I want to save a file in Caja, I can't use any of these keyboards as nothing is shown. I can use the upper case characters on the Hebrew keyboard which are plain English, for example. xed is also not supporting any of these characters.
Are you saying this also applies to the German keyboard layout that you cannot see what you are typing in xed? Those characters are basically (extended) ASCII so I'd be surprised.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:33 pm
powerhouse wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:25 pm I added 2 additional keyboards: German and Hebrew

Are you saying this also applies to the German keyboard layout that you cannot see what you are typing in xed? Those characters are basically (extended) ASCII so I'd be surprised.
Yes, the German äöü don't appear, it's like the keys on the keyboard don't work.

I checked my other PC - the same problem with Linux Mint 19 Mate.
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
gm10

Post by gm10 »

edit: nvm, I saw you cross-posted in the German forum as well and the problem was identified.

cross-posting without telling people about it is just wasting everybody's time. please don't do it.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:04 am edit: nvm, I saw you cross-posted in the German forum as well and the problem was identified.

cross-posting without telling people about it is just wasting everybody's time. please don't do it.
I was just going to post here, so please...

The issue has been solved:

I created a new user and copied the file

Code: Select all

qt5ct.conf
from that new user directory /home/newuser/.config/qt5ct to my regular user directory: /home/user/.config/qt5ct

Then reboot!

The file qt5ct.conf did exist in my ~/.config/qt5ct folder but was badly formatted or misconfigured. Copying a pristine version solved the issue.

Return to “MATE”