Mint 19 help needed

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newbie Bob

Mint 19 help needed

Post by Newbie Bob »

Mint 19 has been successfully installed but -

(1) even 'tho "games" has been downloaded and installed i cannot place its icon on the desktop. Apparently a "launch command" is needed to place the icon on the desktop but where is the launch cmd found ? Is there a better way to install icon on desktop ?

(2) Grub is installed to allow dual-boot. Apparently a newer version of Grub is avail for download but since the existing version has been modified to make Win the default OS, a warning msg appears that the existing version will be replaced by the latest & greatest version without the modifications. What is recommended procedure if original is overlayed ? Or since original version works properly (with my modifications) can the update be safely ignored ?

Thanx.

Newbie Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19 help needed

Post by Flemur »

Newbie Bob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 am Mint 19 has been successfully installed but -
(1) even 'tho "games" has been downloaded and installed
I can't find a package named "games"; did you install it from a repo or ??
(2) Grub is installed to allow dual-boot. Apparently a newer version of Grub is avail for download but since the existing version has been modified to make Win the default OS, a warning msg appears that the existing version will be replaced by the latest & greatest version without the modifications. What is recommended procedure if original is overlayed ? Or since original version works properly (with my modifications) can the update be safely ignored ?
What exactly is that message? Normally your changes are made in /usr/share/grub/default/grub, including telling it which OS to start by default. Why not make that change again if the update wipes it out? (it consists of changing one number).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Newbie Bob wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 am (2) Grub is installed to allow dual-boot. Apparently a newer version of Grub is avail for download but since the existing version has been modified to make Win the default OS, a warning msg appears that the existing version will be replaced by the latest & greatest version without the modifications. What is recommended procedure if original is overlayed ? Or since original version works properly (with my modifications) can the update be safely ignored ?

Thanx.

Newbie Bob
You can safely keep the existing version of the Grub settings. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Newbie Bob

Post by Newbie Bob »

Hi Flemur: Thanx for quick reply.

(1) "Games" is menu item which includes several downloaded pkgs. Is it possible to include it on the desktop ?

(2) You are correct - changing only 1 line by updating Grub is probably easiest solution other than not upgrading at all.

Newbie Bob
Newbie Bob

Post by Newbie Bob »

Hi Pjotr: Thanx.

Newbie Bob

Return to “MATE”