is it possible to have a luncher for mintmenu on desktop?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

is it possible to have a luncher for mintmenu on desktop?

Post by pcfan5 »

Have searchead arround this forum, didn't find a topic about what this:

Is there anyway to put a luncher or something similar for the mintmenu in the desktop? . I am under LM Mate 18.3, I have choosen a nice Icon for the menu but it is shown very little in the panel, I was wondering if I could put a luncher for this mintmenu on the desk to have a bigger icon (among other things), I have tried creating a "luncher" but don't know what comand is the right one, If I set the path here

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu
and also

mintMenu.py
nothing happens...

I don't know if this is possible at all...

Thanks in advanced.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: is it possible to have a luncher for mintmenu on desktop?

Post by sdibaja »

go to Main Menu, create the launcher there. when done, drag it to the panel or the desktop.

First look in preferences, look and feel, then Main Menu.
select the category you want it in, click on New Item, and fill in the blanks... the Icon you prefer is selected there also.

if it does not work as expected you can edit your launcher and try again.
Mate Rocks!
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hello, thanks for your reply. Can you give me instructions on how to create the launcher in main menu , because I cannot find it :roll: , I don't have "preferences" in the main menu, neither "look and feel" ( only appearence). I only find preferences on the menu by doing left click. By the way also would be helpful if you can tell me how to fill in "command"- I can get the screen you attached by creating a luncher from desktop (left click ). Regards
Last edited by pcfan5 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

excuse me. I did not recognize "mintMenu". I now find that it is a customized menu that you can use on the Panel...
I don't currently use Mint Mate and do not have it installed on any of my machines at the moment (Mate as used by Mint is different than mainstream Mate)

In general, the command would be the same as you would use in your terminal.
The instructions I gave is how you create launchers for Programs.

mintMenu was not deigned to run as a desktop item. I do not think you can achieve your desired result unless you can figure out how to run it from the command line. I have no clue.

Perhaps you can find assistance in the Wiki or one of the Forums: https://mate-desktop.org/community/

==========
I went back to your original post... I see your desire is to display your custom Icon larger " I have choosen a nice Icon for the menu but it is shown very little in the panel"
try creating a new Panel, add mintMenu, add your custom Icon to it, and then with Panel Properties increase the size so that it looks right to you.

Best of luck!
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
gm10

Post by gm10 »

pcfan5 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm I was wondering if I could put a luncher for this mintmenu on the desk to have a bigger icon (among other things), I have tried creating a "luncher" but don't know what comand is the right one
I'm not sure why you'd want this over just using a hotkey but here's what you do. First:

apt install xdotool
Now right click on your desktop, select to Create launcher, in the Name field put Menu or whatever you want, in the Command field write xdotool key Super_L.
Click OK and done. Clicking on it will now pop up the panel menu.

This is assuming that the windows key is still configured as the hotkey to open the menu. Otherwise right click the menu, select preferences, and find what hotkey you have configured and replace Super_L with that in the command field.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

@sdibaja Thank you for your kind reply. If I mannage to achive my wish I will return back here with news. Thank you for your time and screenshots.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

[/quote]

I'm not sure why you'd want this over just using a hotkey but here's what you do. First:

apt install xdotool
Now right click on your desktop, select to Create launcher, in the Name field put Menu or whatever you want, in the Command field write xdotool key Super_L.
Click OK and done. Clicking on it will now pop up the panel menu.

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply . I wanted to have it for visual pupposes. I will come back with news, later, I am not quite sure if xdotool is what I am looking for. I will read more about it. Thank you.

Return to “MATE”