new username and password

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oakashelm

new username and password

Post by oakashelm »

Hi,
I've lost my Mint18.2 OS dvd and also the username and password that goes with it. Is there any way I can resurrect my computer? I don't have any other OS on it.
Help would be appreciated, please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: new username and password

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can download and either create USB or burn a DVD.
https://linuxhint.com/install_linux_mint_19/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
gm10

Re: new username and password

Post by gm10 »

OP I understood your post to say you still got Mint 18.2 installed. If true, then just boot into the GRUB boot menu (hold shift after the BIOS logo if it's not showing by default), the select Advanced options and then recovery mode. Now select to boot into a root shell. The run

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /
mount --all
ls /home
This will list all the home folders, which typically correspond to the user names.

Now run

Code: Select all

passwd <username>
while replacing <username> for the actual user name you found, and set your new password. Now you can reboot and boot and log in to that user account with the new password you set.

Return to “MATE”