[SOLVED] Seeing double in Taskbar

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechnoTron

[SOLVED] Seeing double in Taskbar

Post by TechnoTron »

I recently reinstalled Linux Mint Mate 64bit 18.3 after my 10 year old HDD died on me. I replaced it with an SSD. But I couldn't clone the old one, 'cause it was too far gone to read consistently (kept freezing).

If you're not in the mood to read, here is a video describing the problem: http://tiny.cc/3n7lwy

Anyway...Every time I minimized a program, it didn't show up on the task bar. But It did when I removed the checkbox for "Expand", but that just made it look weird (to me). So I added Window List to panel, thinking that it wasn't included in the distro for some reason. Then I happened to try to move some icons on the bar. Then I discovered the tasks were hiding behind the Chromium Icon the whole time. Now I have two instances of all tasks on the bar. I tried looking online for ways to fix this, but I can't find a solution to fit the problem.

(For those wondering why I don't just install Mint 19 instead; I tried that. It wont find the wifi, amongst other problems.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Seeing double in Taskbar

Post by all41 »

Sounds like youo now have two Windows List applets running in your panel.
There is a very faint seperator bar just outside and to the left of an open windows list box.
This is very difficult to see with darker taskbar colors.
You will need to right-click on that seperator and choose 'Remove From Panel'.
windows list.jpg
You may have to deselect 'Lock to Panel' beforehand
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
TechnoTron

Re: Seeing double in Taskbar

Post by TechnoTron »

Took me awhile, but then I saw the last line about unlocking it first. Now it works like a charm. Thank you! :o :o

Return to “MATE”