[SOLVED] Vim only works via terminal

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Huxley

[SOLVED] Vim only works via terminal

Post by Huxley »

Within Caja file manager I can't open any files with Vim. Neither double left clicking (after setting vim as preferred application) or

Code: Select all

right click > open with vim
, have any effect, not even an error. From the terminal vim works as expected. The only way I can open a text file with the mouse is to use xed text editor. I'm also using Ranger which opens files in Vim without any problem.

I recently migrated from Ubuntu MATE and preserved my old /home during install, so perhaps there could be some conflict within my ~/.config folder? Any ideas on how to resolve the issue would be much appreciated.

Huxley
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Vim only works via terminal

Post by Flemur »

Try something like this:

xfce4-terminal --command="vim $1"
I called the one-line script "Vim" and then thunar -> "open [text file] with Vim" worked.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Huxley

Post by Huxley »

Nope, the only thing that changed was that

Ctrl-Alt-T
caused terminal to open directly into vim.

P.s I'm using mate-terminal and caja. They're the same applications I was using with Ubuntu MATE, but I can't get it working. It's really annoying.
Huxley

Post by Huxley »

Can't get vim to work, but installed gvim which does the job. Looks like the problem is with opening a file into a terminal based editor, as I couldn't click to open files in nano either.

Return to “MATE”