mount command

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squalo
Level 1
Level 1

mount command

Post by squalo »

Hi
I'm using Mint 19 Tara with Mate 1.20

When I launch a mount command in a terminal, the desktop don't place an icon and caja don't show the new share in the file manager.

The same on UbuntuMate 16.04 or 18.04 works as expected.

Known Bug or feature?

Thanks.
BR

Edit: doing a "mount -a " does mount all fstab entries again AND show them as icons at the desktop and in caja. Only when mounting a share directly , it won't
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: mount command

Post by xenopeek »

What directory are you mounting on? Likely only if you put the mount in a directory under /mnt or /media will the file manager show it as a removable device.
squalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squalo »

It's under /media

Edit: it is a samba share from a NAS (sudo mount -t cfis ....)

Edit2: I will try to put mount option "x-gvfs-show" additionally. If it will work, I'll post it later here.
squalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squalo »

'x-gvfs-show' didn't help. :|
gm10

Post by gm10 »

nvm, I misremembered
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Edit: doing a "mount -a " does mount all fstab entries again AND show them as icons at the desktop and in caja.
Please post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
Anything - local or remote - mounted under /media ( does NOT have to be under /media/$USER ) or in your home directory creates a mount icon on the desktop.

If it mounted anywhere else it will not.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
squalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squalo »

This is the full cmd I type at a terminal:

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=***,pass=*****,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=1023,gid=1023 //NAS_Server/web /media/$USER/NAS/web
It works on UbuntuMATE 16.04 and 18.04 . It mounts the share and I see an Icon at the desktop and in caja.

The same cmd in Mint19 Tara only mount the share. Nothing else happen.

All my shares in fstab are working fine. I can see them at the desktop and in caja on both systems: Mint 19 and UbuntuMate

i.e.:
//NAS_Server/web  /media/<username>/NAS/web   cifs user=****,pass=****,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=1023,gid=1023
squalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squalo »

Now I got the issue.

The mounting of share "web" is regularely NOT in my fstab listed. I only need it on demand seldomly.

But when I put it into fstab, the mount cmd in terminal does indeed raise an Icon onto desk and put into caja.

Do I remark out this line for share "web" again from fstab it does behave like before: mounting share, but no icon , nor caja entry.

This is indeed a difference from Mint to UbuntuMATE. In UbuntuMATE I did not need an extra fstab entry for this share, for desktop-icon or caja.

So I have to live with it , to have also this share from starting up system. But that's not what I wanted.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I can't reproduce your symptoms with the facts presented here and I did not understand your last post.

There does appear to be a problem with when the shares defined in fstab are being mounted however. There is nothing wrong with this statement - assumming you actually finished the sentence with a 0 0:
//NAS_Server/web /media/<username>/NAS/web cifs user=****,pass=****,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=1023,gid=1023
The problem may be that fstab is being read and executed before the network stack is up in Mint so some or all of them may be ignored during the boot process. And it does take longer for the network to be enabled in Mint compared to Ubuntu.

Note: _netdev doesn't do what it used to do BP ( Before Poettering ). What it does now is tell the system to not hold up booting if the network device cannot be found.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
squalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squalo »

It's simple:

execute this command, without having this share also mentioned in fstab:
i.e.:

sudo mount -t cifs -o vers=2.0,user=$USER,pass=***,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=1023,gid=1023 //NAS_Server/web /media/$USER/NAS/web
it does not raise an icon nor caja-entry.

Now put this line into fstab:

//NAS_Server/web  /media/<user>/NAS/web   cifs vers=2.0,username=<user>,password=******,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=1023,gid=1023
execute now the same cmd above and it will work with icon and caja.
Comment out fstab entry again, and execute the same cmd above and it WON'T work with icon and caja.

(each time umounting before).

That's what I wanted to explain in my previous post.

Btw.: how _netdev works now, it's suffient for me. I thought, I had to put in the past. But it doesn't harm anyway.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

squalo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squalo »

Yes, that's the bug.
When it will be fixed approx. by Mint?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Can this possibly be related to this instead?

https://www.reddit.com/r/UbuntuMATE/com ... p_in_caja/
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Nope, that's a different issue. It's related to this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/commit/0d69462

As for when Mint is going to fix this: Next Tuesday. Seriously? I have no idea when this will roll tough ubuntu to get to Mint.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I cede the floor to your Samba knowledge altair4 :) I had hoped you would know what is what with that. Good guide!

Pertaining to this bug, it is fixed upstream but due to API difference that particular fix can't be backported to GNOME 3.28 as used by Ubuntu 18.04: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/iss ... ote_237428.

Since Linux Mint 19 uses the involved libraries straight from Ubuntu 18.04 package base repository, it will be fixed in Linux Mint 19 when it is fixed in Ubuntu 18.04.

On any fully updated Ubuntu 18.04 based installation the issue would show the same as on Linux Mint 19. Unless the distro uses a different gvfs or glib package version than available from Ubuntu 18.04. Currently Ubuntu 18.04 has:
gvfs version 1.36.1-0ubuntu1
libglib2.0-0 version 2.56.1-2ubuntu1
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

squalo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:04 am So I have to live with it , to have also this share from starting up system. But that's not what I wanted.
Add "noauto" to the mount options in fstab (as the first option normally). It won't then mount on startup, and from the command line you can mount via mount /media/$USER/NAS/web or mount //NAS_Server/web.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you are going to go that far you might as well add the user option as well.

I just set this up in MATE19 fstab:
//gort.local/public /home/tester/Public cifs guest,uid=1000,user,noauto 0 0
What happens next is magic:

I will see a "network" folder icon under Devices in caja labeled Public:
Caja-Device.png
When I select it it will go to fstab to find out how to mount it and ... well ... mount it.

When I'm done with it I can use the itty bitty icon on the side to unmount it:
Caja-Device-Umount.png
No need for a terminal. No need to use sudo.

Just remember that this only works if the mount point is under /media somewhere or in your home directory.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

altair4 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 pm No need for a terminal.
Why anyone would want "caja" instead of a terminal remains a bit of a mystery but otherwise, well, yes, quite...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You are welcome.

And as a side bonus this "networked folder" icon thingy shows up in all your applications. So if the share is not currently mounted and you open up say ... xed and do a File > Open that same little "networked folder" icon thingy shows up on the side panel and allows you to mount the share from xed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

altair4 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:09 pm So if the share is not currently mounted and you open up say ... xed and do a File > Open that same little "networked folder" icon thingy shows up on the side panel and allows you to mount the share from xed.
Why anyone would want "xed" instead of say vim remains a bit of a mystery but... oh, nevermind.

Return to “MATE”