Linux Mint Mate 19 - Login Font Control

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
twintail

Linux Mint Mate 19 - Login Font Control

Post by twintail »

How do I change login font size on LM Mate 19?

I tried three method, but none of them could change the font size.

(1) Menu -> Control Center -> Loginwindow
=> There is no items about font at all.

(2) Menu -> Control Center -> Appearance
=> There is a font settings tab. But this affect only system fonts after login.
This doesn't affect login font at all.

(3) Edit "/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/99_linuxmint.conf"
and change "font-name=Ubuntu 11" into "font-name=Ubuntu 15".
=> This doesn't affect login font at all, even after restart.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint Mate 19 - Login Font Control

Post by smurphos »

twintail wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:40 pm (3) Edit "/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/99_linuxmint.conf"
and change "font-name=Ubuntu 11" into "font-name=Ubuntu 15".
=> This doesn't affect login font at all, even after restart.
The file you need to edit is /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf. That includes all settings that are different from default so you can add a font-name= declaration here.

Note with slick-greeter this only changes the font on the top menubar on the log-in screen.

The look of the users dialogue and password entry are set by the GTK theme selected in the Login-Window app. I'm not sure where in the GTK theme this can be changed at time of writing, if that is what you want to do.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
twintail

Post by twintail »

The file you need to edit is /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf. That includes all settings that are different from default so you can add a font-name= declaration here.

Note with slick-greeter this only changes the font on the top menubar on the log-in screen.
Thank you for your information, I edited /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf and had some effect on login font.
The look of the users dialogue and password entry are set by the GTK theme selected in the Login-Window app. I'm not sure where in the GTK theme this can be changed at time of writing, if that is what you want to do.
And you are right. I found that the font settings in /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf only affects some font on login screen.
Thank you for your precise information. I really appreciate it.

But why login screen in Mate19 uses different LCD resolution from system setting display resolution?
It seems that it uses maximum available resolution and this causes login font looks small.
Is there any way to set LCD resolution for login screen?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

No worries - on further investigation I'm pretty sure the login user list and password entry font-family and font-size are hard coded into slick-greeter.

What resolution is your screen? You could try setting the HIDPI support to enable in the Login-Window app. On my little 1366x762 display that results in much much bigger fonts.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
twintail

Post by twintail »

What resolution is your screen?
You could try setting the HIDPI support to enable in the Login-Window app. On my little 1366x762 display that results in much much bigger fonts.
Thank you for your reply and information.
I use 1280x720 by setting Menu -> Control Center.
But login screen uses 1920x1080.

How can I set login screen resolution?

Return to “MATE”