LM 19 Mate - issues encountered

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZenPath

LM 19 Mate - issues encountered

Post by ZenPath »

Recently installed LM19 Mate. Pretty smooth process, but for me as a user, not sure that it's an improvement on 18.3.

I use Mate, on a 4 core AMD64 4.00GHz with the 4.15 kernel and 62.8GiB RAM.

Issues related directly to Mate?:

Have come across an issue (viewtopic.php?f=206&t=273921&p=1525781& ... h#p1500069) with respect to the aesthetic of the 'system tray'/ notification area which does not correspond with the color of my panel theme.

Applications (e.g., Clementine) take considerably longer to load (> 30s) than they used to.

Directories, when opened, do not [automatically] refresh when new files are pasted. The 'Refresh' option has to be clicked for the new files to show.
Image directories are also really slow to open (despite RAM and 10% swappiness).

Themes don't actually change anything visually.

Issues probably unrelated to Mint 19 Mate include:

LibO6.0 no longer includes (nor allows for) a Quickstarter menu
Firefox defaults to an error resulting in pages commonly displayed to read: "Gah! your tab just crashed" which necessitated some work to fix.

Any system tweaks?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: LM 19 Mate - issues encountered

Post by gm10 »

Sounds like just another broken upgrade, those are a dime a dozen. Try a clean install.
ZenPath wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm Image directories are also really slow to open (despite RAM and 10% swappiness).
A lower swappiness value means you de-prioritize the file system cache in low memory situations so slower file system access is exactly what you bargained for. That's why I dislike these often heard swappiness recommendations when most people don't even know what that parameter is about.
ZenPath

Post by ZenPath »

That's why I dislike these often heard swappiness recommendations when most people don't even know what that parameter is about.
Well, that's all well and good. Perhaps you should post your objections as prominently as the guy who recommended the change to the swappiness level. I'm happy to read a head-to-head argument between the two of you and to adopt the position that is the better evidenced. Would that be you?

Besides that. Do you want to offer something that will be helpful?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ZenPath wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 pm Besides that. Do you want to offer something that will be helpful?
You may have overlooked my line before the quote. My suggestion is a clean install, i.e. back up your data, then - after making sure your installation medium is not corrupt, do the integrity check at the start (if UEFI) - run the install and select the default installation option, which is to wipe everything.
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZenPath

Post by ZenPath »

A clean install means disregarding the upgrade from the 18.3 path?

So, again, did you want to posit your objections to Clem so that they can improve the upgrade from 18.3 process?

Thank you. But I followed the recommended upgrade path. If you have a better suggestion (I.e., from scratch), then you should probably make these known to the development team.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Absolutely everybody here will tell you that a clean install is better than an upgrade, I'm sure even Clem himself, but you've made your position (and personality) clear enough so I shall take my leave now. It was fun, but let's not do it again. ;)
ZenPath

Post by ZenPath »

Hmmm - thank you, I think.

So if even "Clem himself" will tell me to do a fresh/ clean upgrade, then why would Mint list an upgrade from 18.3 to 19.0 path unless they were interested in the user experience of doing so.

Personally, I'm not concerned about you. However, I am concerned about the students that I will be recommending to update, in place, their Linux Mint 18.3 distro installs to 19 on the basis of what Mint purports to offer as seamless upgrade. If it is not a seamless upgrade, then I assume (wrongly?) that the developers are interested in hearing about this.

And by the by, since we do not know each other personally, I'm not concerned about your claims about my personality. You know nothing about me, so please do not seek to prejudge on the basis of scant evidence. Please try to keep to the question at hand, rather than react defensively or whatever need you feel to put me down.

Thanks muchly.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I've seen plenty of posts here about borked upgrades from one series to the next (i.e, 17>>18, and now 18>>19). I'd recommend a clean install. I can't answer the question why sometimes upgrades don't go well. I've always done clean installs myself, even within a series (i.e., 18.0>>18.1, etc.).
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Every OS, from Windows to Mac to Linux to AIX, offers an upgrade path. Since it's impossible for an upgrade to test every combination of installed software and/or version level, I have never recommended an inline upgrade over a clean install to any of my clients. Now, should an upgrade work? Of course - many here have successfully used clem's instructions. But, if you search this forum you'll find most, if not all, will advocate for a clean install.

Return to “MATE”