When the main menu gets too big for the screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhbUK
Level 1
Level 1

When the main menu gets too big for the screen

Post by mhbUK »

I had this problem and couldn't find a solution anywhere. The standard Mate menu (in Mint v 17) got too big for my screen so first I couldn't see the "all" applications and then, the next item, "Accessories" disappeared. Eventually I worked it out: if you set too many bookmarks in Caja file manager, then these occupy lines on the places column of the menu with knock-on effects on the applications column, i.e. forcing the upper rows off the screen. The solution was to reduce the number of places bookmarked in Caja.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: When the main menu gets too big for the screen

Post by catweazel »

mhbUK wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 am The solution was to reduce the number of places bookmarked in Caja.
Or alternatively install something like Cairo-dock or plank.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

mhbUK wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 am The solution was to reduce the number of places bookmarked in Caja.
Or right click your menu > preferences > places and check "Allow Scrollbar" (now you can control the height) or uncheck "Show GTK bookmarks". At least I'm pretty sure those options existed already in the MATE version you got on Mint 17. If not, time to think about upgrading, anyway. ;)
mhbUK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mhbUK »

Thanks, I hadn't found that - it works in Mint 17 but it does make the whole menu a bit more cumbersome.

Return to “MATE”