Caja / dark theme issues - invisible text cursor?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
darkstrike
Level 4
Level 4

Caja / dark theme issues - invisible text cursor?

Post by darkstrike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 am

Hi all - I've noticed with almost every dark theme, the text cursor is almost completely invisible in Caja when doing things like renaming files or naming new folders. I've seen the same issue on many different dark themes...Mint Dark-Y, Adwaita-Dark, Arc-Dark, Adapta-Nokto, Pop-Dark, Ultimate-Dark...

The only two I've found where it's visible are BlackMATE (my current preferred theme) and High-Contrast-Inverse. Is anybody else having this issue or knows how to fix it? I love dark themes and would love to be able to vary my theme once and awhile, but as minor as this might seem, it's a dealbreaker for file management...

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Caja / dark theme issues - invisible text cursor?

Post by gm10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:35 am

If you don't care about the white background, a simple fix is to add this at the bottom of the theme's gtk-3.xx/gtk.css file

Code: Select all

.caja-desktop.view .entry,
.caja-navigation-window .view .entry {
    caret-color: #000;
}
Otherwise you need to set the background-color somehow but I never bothered with that so I don't have that at hand.

darkstrike
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darkstrike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am

Nope, color of the text background when renaming, etc doesn't matter to me as long as I can see the cursor!

Where would I find the theme files to edit them?

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

darkstrike wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am
Nope, color of the text background when renaming, etc doesn't matter to me as long as I can see the cursor!

Where would I find the theme files to edit them?
Depends how you installed them, if via the Software Manager then usually in /usr/share/themes, otherwise you may have placed them in ~/.themes.

Btw, let me ghetto-ping Mint dev JosephM so he can either fix Mint-Y-Dark or tell the MATE team to use some sensible defaults for third-party themes:
JosephM wrote:

darkstrike
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darkstrike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks! Problem is, I assume the next time there is a theme update through the software manager, my fixes will be overwritten again?

Your fix worked a treat though!

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm

darkstrike wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm
Thanks! Problem is, I assume the next time there is a theme update through the software manager, my fixes will be overwritten again?

Your fix worked a treat though!
You're welcome. And theme updates are super rare. What I do is I patch the theme automatically with a script as part of my post-install setup, here for my default Arc-Dark theme:

Code: Select all

echo ".caja-desktop.view .entry, .caja-navigation-window .view .entry {caret-color: #000;}"|sudo tee -a /usr/share/themes/Arc-Dark/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
That makes it painless.

Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:48 am

darkstrike wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 am
Hi all - I've noticed with almost every dark theme, the text cursor is almost completely invisible in Caja when doing things like renaming files or naming new folders. I've seen the same issue on many different dark themes...Mint Dark-Y, Adwaita-Dark, Arc-Dark, Adapta-Nokto, Pop-Dark, Ultimate-Dark...

The only two I've found where it's visible are BlackMATE (my current preferred theme) and High-Contrast-Inverse. Is anybody else having this issue or knows how to fix it? I love dark themes and would love to be able to vary my theme once and awhile, but as minor as this might seem, it's a dealbreaker for file management...

Thanks for any suggestions or help!
I just solved this issue... it fixed one issue with the selection square in LibreOffice Base (If I selected something like 'Tables' the highlight obscured the text - now I get more of an outline and slightly darker background leaving the white text clear).

I feel your pain. I also used BlackMATE before... I needed to use Mint-X for some jobs where dark themes caused problems.

The answers: I guess top answer would be the creator 'bolimage' - my new hero. https://www.opendesktop.org/u/bolimage/

Obscure-Blue
https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1254680/ - this works with my favourite (Royal-gtk-theme) window border, which is extremely slim and compact, yet still supports legible window labels. With 'Obscure-Blue' the border is seamless. However, the buttons (e.g. selecting Themes/Add/Remove/Settings) are slightly less attractive (though more compact) than the following theme:

Ultimate-Dark-Blue-Compact (there are a few colours).
https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1246387/

After installing it, verify my latest discovery... open the 'Themes' window, and click on an item (controls, or Icons), Click in the area with the label, not the 'select' area showing the preview - now tell me I'm dreaming that there's actually ANIMATION there... a very very lovely touch.

Definitely go 'compact' - it's not really very compact (and sadly my favourite compact titlebar 'royal-gtk-theme' now comes up a little purple, so I think Mint-X is nice (blended colour, but black text on grey window)

With the Blue, I use the ComixCursors--Slim-Blue or 'slim-white' (similar shade, slightly transparent, and just lovely and not flashy). Chameleon cursors are also incredible (try the 'Pearl-Regular'

Gone now are the days where I need to change to Mint-X theme to brighten up windows for some tasks... (mostly bad with Libreoffice, but previously with an old version of Calibre.

Return to “MATE”