Mint-Y theme with different color scheme in MATE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
distressed42

Mint-Y theme with different color scheme in MATE?

Post by distressed42 »

Most MATE themes are just horrible. Mint-Y it's one of the best ones in my oppinion, the thing is, i don't want everything so green, and i dont know how to change the colors of it, help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint-Y theme with different color scheme in MATE?

Post by smurphos »

Wait a few weeks (maybe a month or two) for 19.1 - it's slated to ship with Mint-Y variations with different accent colors.

It's a pain to manually fix - mainly because a lot of the green is in the graphical assets.

There are a couple of Blue variations on Cinnamon Spices - they should work Ok with Mate. Download from spices and unzip to your ~/.themes directory.

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... Yltra-Dark

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... ltra-Light
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Funny, I asked myself the exact same question just a few days ago. I don't actually mind the green and I agree with the OP that minty-Y is the best looking theme. It's just from time to time I'd like to be able to switch colours while maintaining a consistent look. I tried the Minty-Y extra light but couldn't really find a likeable folder colour for a uniform appearance.

I'm on Cinnamon 18.3, however. Will I be able to change colour schemes too, do you know?
distressed42

Post by distressed42 »

deanr72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am Funny, I asked myself the exact same question just a few days ago. I don't actually mind the green and I agree with the OP that minty-Y is the best looking theme. It's just from time to time I'd like to be able to switch colours while maintaining a consistent look. I tried the Minty-Y extra light but couldn't really find a likeable folder colour for a uniform appearance.

I'm on Cinnamon 18.3, however. Will I be able to change colour schemes too, do you know?
Actually, if you are on Cinnamon, you can use these color variations: https://github.com/erikdubois/Mint-Y-Colora-Theme
Just download the author's created themes and install them on ~/.themes
You should be able to see the new color variations on the appearence section.

I'm using mate and they don't actually work. But you should be fine, you can even create your own color scheme following the instructions.
distressed42

Post by distressed42 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:34 am Wait a few weeks (maybe a month or two) for 19.1 - it's slated to ship with Mint-Y variations with different accent colors.

It's a pain to manually fix - mainly because a lot of the green is in the graphical assets.

There are a couple of Blue variations on Cinnamon Spices - they should work Ok with Mate. Download from spices and unzip to your ~/.themes directory.

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... Yltra-Dark

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... ltra-Light
Thanks!

The spices don't work very well with mate.

But good to know that they are adding the color schemes in 19.1, i'll stick to green till then, then. (i was wondering why the hell we have color variations of icon packs but not the themes, so i guess that explains it all. And the icons im assuming they took it from Cinnamon, but the themes requires extra work)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

distressed42 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 am The spices don't work very well with mate.

But good to know that they are adding the color schemes in 19.1, i'll stick to green till then, then. (i was wondering why the hell we have color variations of icon packs but not the themes, so i guess that explains it all. And the icons im assuming they took it from Cinnamon, but the themes requires extra work)
What doesn't work? Those two should work fine in Mate 18.3 and 19 - in Mate you'd need to chose customise to pick a non-green icon theme and if you want the theme applied to root apps you'll need to make a symlink to usr/share/themes (hint - sudo ln -s ~/.themes/* /usr/share/themes/). Not all of the gtk themes on spices will work on 19 but those two do.

Why the color variations didn't make it to Mint 19? I'd hazard a guess that the dev leading on the themes ran out of time. The time-consuming part with Mint Y is colourising the .svg template that's used to make all the .png assets. The changes in the theme .css code to change the accent colour in menus etc are pretty trivial.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

distressed42 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:04 am
deanr72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am Funny, I asked myself the exact same question just a few days ago. I don't actually mind the green and I agree with the OP that minty-Y is the best looking theme. It's just from time to time I'd like to be able to switch colours while maintaining a consistent look. I tried the Minty-Y extra light but couldn't really find a likeable folder colour for a uniform appearance.

Actually, if you are on Cinnamon, you can use these color variations: https://github.com/erikdubois/Mint-Y-Colora-Theme
Just download the author's created themes and install them on ~/.themes
You should be able to see the new color variations on the appearence section.

I'm using mate and they don't actually work. But you should be fine, you can even create your own color scheme following the instructions.
Erik's Colora variations were based on the 18.x version of Mint-Y - that will only work on Mint 18.x not Mint 19 - but they should all be fine in Mate and XFCE 18.x as-well as Cinnamon 18.x
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Someone's forked and updated the Colora scripts for Mint 19 - viewtopic.php?f=211&t=280509
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hello, thank you so very much... this is what I was just looking for...
https://github.com/kunesj/Mint-Y-Colora ... Collection

and it works in LM xfce 18.3 very well !!!

UPDATE, I am really sorry to inform that the themes mentioned doesn't work properly in XFCE, control bars got missing and the windows designs spoilled.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

These work great with Cinnamon and Mate, 18 and 19:

http://www.ravefinity.com/p/vibrancy-co ... e.html?m=1

Return to “MATE”