File saving dialogue has no path bar. (feature suggestion)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TL7

File saving dialogue has no path bar. (feature suggestion)

Post by TL7 »

The file saving dialogue in Windows has a path bar. Also the folder selector has one.

There are also the inferior types of file/path selector in Windows, which only shows the tree menu, however.

But the file saving dialogue in Linux also has no path bar for navigation.

In some occasions, the file name bar can be used to navigate to a path, but that is no replacement for the full path bar.

The file saving manager of Windows is also equipped with Windows Search (also offers search for file attributes and properties) and the full main Windows Explorer user interface.
BUT LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS!!! :x :x :x
Why not remove internet connection altogether then? Why does Linux connect to the Internet then?

The file saving manager of Windows has a higher useability. Why should Linux not have some functionality from it then? Because Linux is not Windows?

Firefox is not Internet Explorer!
Why has Mozilla implemented the URL bar then?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: File saving dialogue has no path bar. (feature suggestion)

Post by xenopeek »

If this is a feature request for the MATE desktop, you'll have to make it to the MATE desktop developers: https://mate-desktop.org/. First search if a similar request has been made already. This forum is for getting and giving support from/to other Linux Mint users.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 pm If this is a feature request for the MATE desktop, you'll have to make it to the MATE desktop developers: https://mate-desktop.org/. First search if a similar request has been made already. This forum is for getting and giving support from/to other Linux Mint users.
MATE is just the desktop, the file dialogs are provided by GTK+ and Qt, depending on the application, and thus the suggestion would have to be directed at the respective developers of those. I suppose he's talking about Qt applications here because GTK+ most certainly has that breadcrumbs path bar.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The other pathbar can be accessed in the Gtk file chooser/saver by using Ctrl+L over the window.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
TL7

Keyboard shortcut.

Post by TL7 »

Hello.

I just tried out F6 and Ctrl+L, which are common browser keyboard combinations and work on Windows Explorer as well.

Ctrl+L gives one a blanked path bar on the file selection/saving dialogue. Not ideal, but still great. :mrgreen:
TL7

Post by TL7 »

JosephM wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:47 pm The other pathbar can be accessed in the Gtk file chooser/saver by using Ctrl+L over the window.

Thanks. Sorry for posting before reading this, which already mentions CTRL+L.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm
xenopeek wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 pm If this is a feature request for the MATE desktop, you'll have to make it to the MATE desktop developers: https://mate-desktop.org/. First search if a similar request has been made already. This forum is for getting and giving support from/to other Linux Mint users.
MATE is just the desktop, the file dialogs are provided by GTK+ and Qt, depending on the application, and thus the suggestion would have to be directed at the respective developers of those. I suppose he's talking about Qt applications here because GTK+ most certainly has that breadcrumbs path bar.
Anyone any idea how to show hidden files/folders in the QT file picker...it drove me slightly nuts for a while that Ctrl-H doesn't work in the QT based KeepassXC. I've seen mention of Alt-. as a shortcut but that doesn't work either.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:51 am Anyone any idea how to show hidden files/folders in the QT file picker...it drove me slightly nuts for a while that Ctrl-H doesn't work in the QT based KeepassXC. I've seen mention of Alt-. as a shortcut but that doesn't work either.
I'm not aware of any keyboard shortcuts, but you can right click the file list to show hidden files (and folders).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 am I'm not aware of any keyboard shortcuts, but you can right click the file list to show hidden files (and folders).
:oops: WATIA - thanks gm10.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
TL7

Another notice

Post by TL7 »

Windows has separate file path and filename bars.

The latter can be used for filtering files using wildcards.

Example: M*.og* does list all files starting with M* and ends with .og*, examples:
  • Mike Perry — The Ocean.ogg
  • Me at the zoo.ogv

Additionally, Windows also allows hiding the file view and only show the path bar and the file name bar, probably to save ressources.

Return to “MATE”