Mate panel contextual menu window position

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
M1ntuS3r

Mate panel contextual menu window position

Post by M1ntuS3r »

Hi, I've just installed Mint Mate 18.3 and I'm facing the following issue with bottom panels with auto-hide activated: when I open the window menu or when I right-click on icons on the panel, the menu window overlaps the panel. Its bottom is placed at the bottom of the screen.
I've noticed the same bahaviour with a Mint Mate 19 edition on another PC.
With the previous Mint Mate edition (17.3) in the same situation the menu window was placed so that its bottom touched the upper end of the panel, without overlapping it.
Is there a way to change this? I don't like the contextual menu windows to be pleced over the panel. Note that the issue never happens when the auto-hide option is not enabled.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mate panel contextual menu window position

Post by xenopeek »

The mintmenu & autohide of panel issue is I think already reported here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu/issues/188

The context menu overlap of the autohide panel is particular to mate-panel and you'd have to do a feature request for that component with the MATE desktop developers. As the issue https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/608 shows, context menu placement is suffering from other issues and this might just be one more annoyance.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

M1ntuS3r wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am Hi, I've just installed Mint Mate 18.3 and I'm facing the following issue with bottom panels with auto-hide activated: when I open the window menu or when I right-click on icons on the panel, the menu window overlaps the panel. Its bottom is placed at the bottom of the screen.

I've noticed the same bahaviour with a Mint Mate 19 edition on another PC.
I cannot reproduce this issue at all on my LM19 MATE. Maybe a theme-related issue?

The only thing I have noticed is with multiple bottom panels on multiple screens - you need to arrange the screens so their bottom ends are aligned (not the physical screens but as far as the X display goes), otherwise the context menues can be misplaced on the other screens (from my experience the "highest" placed screen takes precedence, so context menues will be too high, but it's possible you can also get it to put them too low, I didn't experiment, I just make sure the screens are properly aligned).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mintmenu on Linux Mint 19 MATE indeed opens above (not overlapping) autohide panel. The panel context menu does overlap the autohide panel but that doesn't hinder its function, unlike the mintmenu opening underneath the autohide panel as it did on Linux mint 18.3 MATE.

Return to “MATE”