missing night time icons in Weather Report panel applet

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

missing night time icons in Weather Report panel applet

Post by SolidState »

Greetings,

Installed Linux Mate 19 tara on my system and coming form being happy with and well tuned to mint 17.3, I hoped that all would be equal between the versions. And largely this is so, except for one curious anomaly so far. The weather report panel app does not correctly display the night time icons for the weather conditions. So for example when the sunset hour comes, I see an icon with a red x for no matter what the weather report says. This in fact happens across most of the icon sets tried. I also see the same issue on a clean install of Mint 18.3 . I am using the same machine with a clean install of mint 19. Only hardware difference is the tara install lives on a brand new SSD in place of and along side mint 17.3, on a traditional hard drive. I am loathe to do an actual upgrade on the 17.3 install that otherwise works well, but its support EOL draws near.

The icon set I like to use is Tango -- in any of its variations, its the preferred choice in my hardware,and the bug is present in most other icon sets with the exception of the Menta and Mint icon sets , and certain of the other flat high contrast icon sets also display proper icons, day and night. But they are the ugly dogs in the fight.

Oddly too certain menu items are now missing icons, for example: nvidia settings, new login power statistics. The menu items I can fix myself with the Main Menu tool, but I am so far stumped about how to fix the weather report night time icons. Mint 17x never exhibited this issue in the many years used.

Thanks for reading
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: missing night time icons in Weather Report panel applet

Post by trytip »

mint19 uses gtk3 and icons act differently. a better solution is maybe install a different weather application viewtopic.php?t=241143
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SolidState »

yeah I had a look at that thread, Thanks! Some useful possibilities. For now I'll plug away at a fix for the current situation, though.

cheers!

Sol
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

can you post a picture of how it looks. i to went on a bender to get better weather icons, but in mint 17.3 and sort of succeed. i see that using the same icon theme in arch/XFCE doen't act the same in mint19/XFCE i stopped fiddling around with it, seems everytime i get something fixed in mint19 i notice something else acting different

try the oxygen icon theme for a test to see if the do change, you may need to logOFF/IN for weather app to refresh or re-install mate weather, don't know what the package is called off hand at the moment
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SolidState »

For now all seems to be working well, but it was strange that the night time icons were broken, whereas the day time icons loaded fine. As for what it looked like broken, it displayed a small icon with a red x in the centre. And a few of the menu app icons went away but they were easy enough to reset via the menu edit tool.

What I did to 'fix' the weather icons: I stopped playing around with it, for one thing. :P After I had a look at what was installed on the 17.3 setup, then did my best to install the 'missing' packages. So I have working icons now. The only other irritations are the scroll bars and window control buttons are not really what I would like. I use mintx gray for the controls and eOs for the window borders and its likeable, macos like, but the scroll bars are puny and lacking up/down buttons which I like ti scroll around with.
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SolidState »

Update:

I could'nt resist your suggestion to try out the oxygen icons, they looked ok in the screenshot form synaptic, but didn't loke them as much as Tango2. Now guess what? The weather icon is broken again.

Very bizarre that it should work at all, then stop working after installing another theme, selecting the them then deciding to return to my prefered.

Weird and it's system wide.
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SolidState »

[Update]

So again I am on the trail of why icons are somewhat broken in my install of Mint 19 Mate weather panel applet. Turns out it only breaks and shows the gtk-missing-image file which in my case is a small red X in a light background at certain conditions. For the weather applet this only occurs when the weather conditions are: night-few-clouds and night-broken-clouds night-partly-cloudy. It has been pointed out that icons behave differently in the gtk3 implemented, but what puzzles is that my bug is selective to the combination of night and broken-cloud of weather conditions. I also see a few application menu items broken, but I can always tweak that away.

Why should the code be selective and break only when the time and weather conditions are met? I wonder -- could this be an -Opitimize bug that can make code disappear? Just a guess. Something like -O2 and friends had the effect to remove needed and useful code way back when. I can't yet rcall on how or even if I can see the set flags, or where it might be -- in a gtklib or in the applet stuff or file handling in general or anywhere. It's a guess and I haven't seen yet discussions of a related bug so I am still interested in discovering what is happening.

Thanks for reading

Return to “MATE”