File name invisible - a Caja fault or feature?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

File name invisible - a Caja fault or feature?

Post by jolexin »

The moderator put my original question in to the German language section, where I have been waiting in vain for an answer. Therefore I repeat my question in English:

Is the follwing observation a fault or a feature of Caja? The name of the topmost file of a folder is shown only after a click into the respecive window. See my screenshots.
111.png
after click into the left pane:
222.png
Is there anything that *I* can do about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- - -
Linux Mint 20 MATE 64bit XFCE
gm10

Re: File name invisible - a Caja fault or feature?

Post by gm10 »

Can't see anything in that tiny second screenshot.

Either way, got some reproduction steps? I have never seen file names be invisible until I click somewhere so please be as specific about what you're doing as possible so we can understand what is happening to you.
IRollWithMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IRollWithMint »

I run Mint 19 on my laptop and this happens a lot in Caja when you move between panes in two pane mode.

For those that can not spot the issue. Look at the first image. You can see an icon on the second line in the first pane. The file name and details are missing.

Selecting the opposite pane will make the Text visible or invisible depending on which pane is selected.

(I do not have my laptop with me. so what I am describing is from my memory. The steps to replicate might be different but this happens a lot. did not happen in Mint 18.3)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Try a different theme via the Appearances settings module. It's a fault in the default Mint-Y that the selected item text color doesn't revert when switching panes. Mint-Y dark is fine as is Mint-X.

It fixed in Mint-Y for 19.1. If you'd like to try the Mint 19.1 version of the Mint themes these commands should install the dependencies needed, download the current source-code, build the themes and install them into your local themes folder.

apt install git ruby-sass inkscape sed
git clone https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes.git
cd mint-themes
./generate-themes.py
..wait..
cp -R ./usr/share/themes/* ~/.themes

Edit - anyone trying this for Cinnamon 3.8 in Mint 19 I recommend you set custom rather than theme defined panel sizes to make the Cinnamon 4 theme play nice in Cinnamon 3.8.

Edit 2 - don't bother trying this in Mint 18.x - you won't like the results.
Last edited by smurphos on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 am It's a fault in the default Mint-Y that the selected item text color doesn't revert when switching panes.
Oh snap, I think that's a bug that I originally helped report even, but in a different context. I thought that was fixed already. Or maybe this is just a similar bug. Either way, thx for the info, that explains why I had trouble understanding what was going on.
IRollWithMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IRollWithMint »

I followed the update to 19.1 themes process that smurphos posted and that has fixed the issue in the mint-Y theme for me.

I added sudo before each command. Not sure if that was necessary but it worked.

Hope this works for jolexin too.

Thank you all for raising this issue and posting the solution so fast. it was an annoying little bug.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

IRollWithMint wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 am I added sudo before each command. Not sure if that was necessary but it worked.
No need for sudo for this operation.

I don't think you would have done any real harm in this scenario but random use of sudo when not needed can cause problems.

You might have some issues now with your home folder having files owned by root (the theme files created) - you can fix that by running this command (that does need sudo!). Don't change anything - copy and paste and run exactly as written.

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
IRollWithMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IRollWithMint »

I removed the themes directory in my home directory. So nothing is owned by root in there.
Everything appears fine. I can switch themes and back again with no issues.
If I do have issues I will know where to look.

Thanks again.
jolexin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jolexin »

My solution: I chose a MINT X theme and adapted it to my taste.

Thanx to everyone who offered his advice. :D
- - -
Linux Mint 20 MATE 64bit XFCE

Return to “MATE”