Komorebi install problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
susan

Komorebi install problem

Post by susan »

I tried to install Komorebi in Linux Mint mate 17.3 and terminal said this: ‘This package is uninstallable Dependency is not satisfiable: libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.14)’ Any suggestions as to how to rectify this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Komorebi install problem

Post by Hoser Rob »

First I have to say that trying to use this sounds like a total bucket of worms to me. It uses Clutter, whcih AFAIK Mate doesn't. Also the only mention I can find in searching "ubuntu Komorebi" is their github page and a bunch of hits to Linux blogs that I think are crap.

Wallparer managers are also a frequent source of problems, just search this forum to see for yourself.

However, I think the source of that error message is that you're using Mint 17.3 and their version is for newer releases. Trying to upgrade libgtk to what they recommend wiuld be an excellent way to break things. Upgrading to at least Mint 18.x would be the best way IF I thought this program was worth installing, but I don't. It seems under developed and poorly documented to me.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
susan

Post by susan »

Thanks for your input. It sounds like I should leave it alone, at least for now and until they get the bugs worked out.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi susan, and welcome to the forum.

If you open your Software Manager and type in Wallpaper, you'll hopefully see offerings that will work with your version.

I just tested and see that I have Variety installed, which I assume was part of my default install. No idea how to use it though. I guess that's what Desktop Settings uses to change wallpapers on a timer (which I've never tried.)

EDIT: Oops, it's not installed. That's why I couldn't figure out how to use it. Anyhow, it may be what you need. For that matter, Desktop Settings in the menu may be all you need.
susan

Post by susan »

Thanks for the welcome and your input. I'm no stranger to Linux (Ubuntu), didn't like the Unity desktop and found Linux Mint. What I'm hoping for is an animated desktop and had tried Livewallpaper but wasn't impressed. I also am a Windows user and have Stardock Object Desktop for that. Somehow I've managed to get Stardock DesktopX working in Wine (can't seem to duplicate that on another computer, working on it), liking the DesktopX Christmas theme I've created and installed and wanting something like Deskscapes (which installed but won't activate). So I'm looking for something to give me that animated desktop I want, the only thing missing in Linux for me.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I thought I had seen a post by smurphos about animated wallpaper or something similar, but I can't find it. I did find this post by catweazel though:
catweazel wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:10 am
charliehardy83 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:16 pm I haven't seen anything anywhere
https://itsfoss.com/live-wallpaper-ubuntu-komorebi/
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/05/ani ... ux-distros
https://www.ostechnix.com/set-animated- ... x-desktop/

If that's not what you're looking for then you need to define "active task shell live wallpaper or something to that tune."
Hope that helps.

Return to “MATE”