Desktop shortcuts opened using Caja, not by preferred application

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Betelgeuze

Desktop shortcuts opened using Caja, not by preferred application

Post by Betelgeuze »

Good evening,
I have Linux Mint Mate Tara installed on my computer.

Code: Select all

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 19 Tara
Release:	19
Codename:	tara
For some reasons I found Thunar as a better file manager for me than Caja, thus I set it as „Preferred Application " in the system settings. But, as I've found out, displaying of the desktop icons depends on Caja and, what is worse for me, the desktop shortcuts of folders are opened by Caja.
My questions are:

Is there any way to display icons completely without Caja?
If not. Is there a way to open folders with Thunar from the desktop?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chrisj01

Re: Desktop shortcuts opened using Caja, not by preferred application

Post by Chrisj01 »

For the folders on your desktop, right click, click on "open with another program", go to Thunar, make sure "Remember this..." checkbox is ticked, then click "open".
gm10

Re: Desktop shortcuts opened using Caja, not by preferred application

Post by gm10 »

If the above works, then great. As far as I recall it probably won't, thought, so what you can do instead is create launchers to point to your folders. Right click the desktop to create a launcher, keep it of the default Application type and in the command line enter

Code: Select all

xdg-open /full/path/to/your/folder
Related to this: If you're using the default menu (mintMenu.py) and have the places plugin enabled, then that's unfortunately hardcoded to use caja as well. I did however only just submit a patch for that which got accepted, so once released that will then respect your preferred file browser.

Return to “MATE”