Running MATE seems slower than Cinnamon?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freshtamatic
Level 3
Level 3

Running MATE seems slower than Cinnamon?

Post by freshtamatic »

I've taken MATE for a spin lately, expecting a faster GUI experience. It seems to be slower than my Cinnamon version (both latest LM versions).
I'm running on a laptop with 4 GB RAM on a AMD Athlon X2 processor with ATI Mobility 4570
I prefer the look of Cinnamon, but MATE seems somehow more familiar to me, even though I installed it for the first time. Speedwise however, MATE is slower from simple tasks like opening Firefox, to switching between apps. I just installed the MATE version and changed the panel position to the top, I have not touched anything else.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Running MATE seems slower than Cinnamon?

Post by sgtor »

If this is true I might actually switch to Cinnamon. The one and only thing that keeps me with Mate for now is the time in the panel. I know it's kind of silly but I really like the sun clock and it's actually the one thing I don't want to give up. lol Everything else in mate I could take it or leave it.

I wonder if there's a way to get a sunclock in the time like that for Cinnamon? I haven't really used Cinnamon so I don't know.

Edit:
I should have asked what window manager are you using because that can make a difference in speed. I'm using compiz and I don't find any speed difference vs marco.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Cinnamon Tessa boots about 600ms faster than MATE Tessa on the same ssd.
7.6 seconds vs 8.2 seconds
MATE and caja have always been my mainstay--
However---I have to say Tessa Cinnamon is impressive, and I enjoy using it when I load it
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

did you install the Mate desktop on top of Cinnamon or was it a fresh Mate install?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

trytip wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:35 pm did you install the Mate desktop on top of Cinnamon or was it a fresh Mate install?
I NEVER do this.
good point. I have a new evo coming.
I will repeat the tests with fresh installs before & after full updates, and before/after tweaks
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

trytip wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:35 pm did you install the Mate desktop on top of Cinnamon or was it a fresh Mate install?
My thought too. Installing multiple DEs is going to ruin your OS to some extent and I would not consider speed or most other comparisons meaningful.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Post by gm10 »

freshtamatic wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:00 pm Speedwise however, MATE is slower from simple tasks like opening Firefox, to switching between apps. I just installed the MATE version and changed the panel position to the top, I have not touched anything else.
My MATE switches apps instantly. I do have animations disabled though. Maybe also try a different window manager and/or compositor, you can change that via the Desktop Settings tool.
freshtamatic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by freshtamatic »

No, it was a fresh install of LM MATE

Return to “MATE”