[SOLVED] no password required for login

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] no password required for login

Post by cdaaawg »

I am running a fully updated LM !8.3 Mate 64-bit machine whose configuration I recently changed to require a password at login. However, the login screen never appears and other than that, everything appears to be in order. This is a real problem because, not only does it skip my login, but it also doesn't allow access to another DE I have installed, nor does it allow logging into a second account I have configured. Any enlightenment is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: no password required for login

Post by Pierre »

from Menu - Administration - Users and Groups - select the appropriate user:
- - password - Asked on Login - - change - UNcheck the box 'Don't ask for password on login'.
the current password should be the one that you set at Installation Time.

Does all of that - make any difference ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

cdaaawg wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:27 pm I am running a fully updated LM !8.3 Mate 64-bit machine whose configuration I recently changed to require a password at login. However, the login screen never appears and other than that, everything appears to be in order. This is a real problem because, not only does it skip my login, but it also doesn't allow access to another DE I have installed, nor does it allow logging into a second account I have configured. Any enlightenment is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl
Also check Menu/Login Window settings under the Users tab.
Make sure there is no username in the Automatic Login field
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

Pierre wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 pm from Menu - Administration - Users and Groups - select the appropriate user:
- - password - Asked on Login - - change - UNcheck the box 'Don't ask for password on login'.
the current password should be the one that you set at Installation Time.

Does all of that - make any difference ?.
Sorry, I should have spelled it out more completely -- that is the exact procedure I had used to attempt a fix for this problem. That procedure DID NOT WORk!
Thanks for your input.

Carl
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

all41 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:51 pm
cdaaawg wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:27 pm I am running a fully updated LM !8.3 Mate 64-bit machine whose configuration I recently changed to require a password at login. However, the login screen never appears and other than that, everything appears to be in order. This is a real problem because, not only does it skip my login, but it also doesn't allow access to another DE I have installed, nor does it allow logging into a second account I have configured. Any enlightenment is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl
Also check Menu/Login Window settings under the Users tab.
Make sure there is no username in the Automatic Login field
Hey all41, thanks for your input. This worked to solve my login/window manager/desktop environment issues. Odd that there isn't a link to the mdm greeter in the System >> Administration >> Users and Groups gui. Do you know how I could script these changes without having to use a gui?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

A link to the Login Window settings within Users and Groups seems plausible,
just as there is a link to Power Management from the Screensaver utility
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “MATE”