Desktop keeps freezing up

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jc1
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop keeps freezing up

Post by jc1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm running mint 19.1 (directly on my laptop) and after using it for a few hours, it freezes up. I have one external monitor. I was using Cinnamon and then switched to MATE and I'm still getting this problem.

RELEASE=19.1
CODENAME=tessa
EDITION="Cinnamon"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
NEW_FEATURES_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cin ... atsnew.php
RELEASE_NOTES_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon.php
USER_GUIDE_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Attachments
systelog.txt.tar.gz
(46.44 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Huxley
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Desktop keeps freezing up

Post by Huxley » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 am

Sounds like you have a hardware issue. Also, most people aren't going to download and extract your .tar.gz file. Paste the text between the code tags </> and you'll have more luck getting help.

oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldwierdal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am

It definitely sounds more like a hardware issue than a software issue. There's a problem I have found on dozens of laptops, where the user places it directly down on the desk or table. The cooling fan on most of these machines is on the bottom. The poor thing can't breath.
First, turn your machine off, turn it over to look at the bottom. Look closely at any openings, especially the fan outlet, and with a brush and vacuum remove as much dust and debris as you can. This might reduce the frequency of the problem, but if it has gone on for very long, the damage is already done. The most likely damaged components are the mother-board and the hard-drive. Lack of adequate ventilation can cook a mother-board in less than a day... hard drives, too. Hard drives are not that expensive any more, but if it is the mother-board, replacement with labor and all could well be as costly as a new machine.
Second, go to Staples or a similar store and find a wire-form rack to place your computer on. It elevates the machine just enough for air-flow. And, ergonomically, it helps the hands and wrists.
Clean it out, see if you can find a wire-form rack to use, and hope for the best.

owa
Linux vobiscum! Et cum source-code, tuo!

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Also post the info from inxi -Fxz

could be a graphics driver issue
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Return to “MATE”