[SOLVED]python3 app doesn't autostart in mate

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]python3 app doesn't autostart in mate

Post by dancer_69 »

I've created a python3 application which I use for a long time without problems. I already created an autostart entry which run without problems in cinnamon and also in xfce, plasma which I have tested before, in arch linux. I just installed mate yesterday, and even there is an entry for this application in autostart applications, it doesn't start when I login to mate desktop. I tried different things:
-use a script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
python3 /home/user/pysnoozeshutdown/main.py
-add a delay:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20
python3 /home/user/pysnoozeshutdown/main.py
-specify python3 path:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20
/usr/bin/python3 /home/user/pysnoozeshutdown/main.py
-add the command directly without script:

/usr/bin/python3 /home/user/pysnoozeshutdown/main.py
Both the script execution and the direct command from terminal work fine and the application runs.
I alse have check the autostart folder in .config and the .desktop file is there and its contents change when I change something from autostart applications setting.
Is there something special that mate needs? Because there is no problem in cinnamon, plasma, xfce desktop environments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: python3 app doesn't autostart in mate

Post by dancer_69 »

Again, I found the problem minutes after created the thread :oops:
I opended the .desktop file and there wasn't an entry for Name and Description, but only Name[el] and Description[el](my native language translated entries). I didn't think that this was a problem because as I wrote above this file worked on cinnamon(which originaly created).
I checked the .xsession-errors file and I found an error parsing this .desktop file. So I remove the [el] from Name and then the application autostarted without problem.

Return to “MATE”