Disappearing window borders after main menu edit

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Disappearing window borders after main menu edit

Post by SolidState » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Something I tried to do backfired. I removed a bunch of unused, inactive and uninstalled menu items on my mint 19.1 desktop. I took care not to remove useful items, but cut many duplicates and non-installed stuff. Eliminated about a dozen things. At the next login the desktop was messed-up -- no window borders, and window placement was at the top left, always hiding the main menu. Looked like an old mac classic in that sense, where the running app has complete control of the menu system. No window manager running that I could find -- no metacity, no marco nor compiz either. And I still haven't figured out what I deleted in the menu to cause this oddness.

None of the deleted items were active, some not even installed so I am puzzled as to why cleaning out the dead items would mess up the desktop settings so badly. I had a window for a shell or a browser but no window borders and I could not shift to another workspace, or user Alt+F4 to close a running window. I could toggle it back to normal via the Desktop Settings -- mate tweak utility -- mate tweak complained about an unsupported window manager and offered me compiz and few flavours of marco and compton. Desktop Settings utility also offered the same plus metacity as choices. I chose compiz, and had proper desktop controls again, but the next login the problem was back. I finally restored the home directory from a backup, and it works properly as before my clean-up of the dead wood on the menus.

But why should removing unused and inactive menu items mess up my desktop window borders and kill off the window manager or permit the window manager from runing? ps ax | grep {$WM} showed only my grep commands

any ideas?

Return to “MATE”