Solved. No music folder

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Solved. No music folder

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 6:21 am

I have just tried to transfer some music to the music folder and there is no music folder how do I sort this out please?
I have also just noticed that when I click on the following folders pictures and videos I get this message that pops up:
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 11-13-27.png
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 11-14-29.png
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 11-14-03.png
Last edited by Richardj on Sun May 05, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Re: No music folder

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 am

Of the standard xdg-user-dirs you are missing ~/Music, ~/Pictures, ~/Public, ~/Templates and ~/Videos. Since however even e.g. ~/Downloads might just be created by Firefox rather than "the system", manually verify your ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file to look like (the standard for English locales):

Code: Select all

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run.
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
# 
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"
and/or just drop that above file in AS ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs if indeed you're in an English locale. Even though contrary to the documentation I couldn't get xdg-user-dirs-update to in fact create missing directories on Mint 19.1 Xfce, so after setting them as per above just then create the missing directories manually:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/{Templates,Public,Music,Pictures,Videos}
You'll no doubt need to log out and back in after this.

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 am

The picture and video folders have now disappeared as well

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 am

Certainly not if you in fact create them as per that manual mkdir, after making sure they're mentioned in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs.

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 am

and/or just drop that above file in AS ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs if indeed you're in an English locale. Even though contrary to the documentation I couldn't get xdg-user-dirs-update to in fact create missing directories on Mint 19.1 Xfce, so after setting them as per above just then create the missing directories manually:

I'm not using Xfce I'm on Mate 19.1

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 am

Richardj wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 am
That's not relevant.

1. Edit/create ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs as displayed (in the file manager, you need to use Ctrl-H to see files and directories starting with a dot, but you can just edit that file with your normal, graphical editor
2, run the mentioned mkdir command
3. log out and back in.

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 am

rene wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 am
Richardj wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 am
That's not relevant.

1. Edit/create ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs as displayed (in the file manager, you need to use Ctrl-H to see files and directories starting with a dot, but you can just edit that file with your normal, graphical editor
2, run the mentioned mkdir command
3. log out and back in.
Thank you for your help. Could you do a step by step guide for me as I'm fairly new to this on linux?

I've just opened my home folder and it shows the following, please see attached:
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 13-44-50.png

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 8:55 am

OK, so the directories themselves now exist. Now make sure the system knows about them:

1. In the file manager, use Ctrl-H to show "hidden" files and directories, navigate to .config in your home directory, double-click the file "user-dirs.dirs" to have it open in an editor.
2. Make sure the paths match; you will in your case no doubt find the previously missing ones to have been set to just "$HOME/". You should edit them to e.g. "$HOME/Music" and the like, as per my own above paste of user-dirs.dirs.
3. Save and exit.
4. Logout and in (or reboot).

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 am

rene wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:55 am
OK, so the directories themselves now exist. Now make sure the system knows about them:

1. In the file manager, use Ctrl-H to show "hidden" files and directories, navigate to .config in your home directory, double-click the file "user-dirs.dirs" to have it open in an editor.
2. Make sure the paths match; you will in your case no doubt find the previously missing ones to have been set to just "$HOME/". You should edit them to e.g. "$HOME/Music" and the like, as per my own above paste of user-dirs.dirs.
3. Save and exit.
4. Logout and in (or reboot).
This is what I have when I navigate to user-dirs.dirs
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 14-41-23.png

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 9:47 am

Right. So do as instructed in step 2.

In fact, there's likely an easier method. Close the editor again, open a terminal and run xdg-update-user-dirs --force, then again open ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs in an editor and check to make sure the tool helpfully did the edits for you. If not, do it manually after all, if so, just logout and back in and all should be well.

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 am

All sorted now, I now have all of them back., Any idea why this happened, I know the likeliest cause would be deleting them but I'm certain I didn't do that

Many thanks for your help.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 14-46-30.png

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am

Well, there's also a desktop.ini there which looks decidedly Windows-y so it seems that drive has been on some adventures; that your home directory has been cheating on you with Windows.

The fact that the paths were set to just "$HOME/" in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs is an expected result of automatic running of xdg-config-dirs-update on login (normally, so as to allow the system a change to re-internationalize those directory names if you change locale) when the directories which you now restored were missing, but as to why they went missing in the first place I couldn't tell you.

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 10:07 am

rene wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am
Well, there's also a desktop.ini there which looks decidedly Windows-y so it seems that drive has been on some adventures; that your home directory has been cheating on you with Windows.

The fact that the paths were set to just "$HOME/" in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs is an expected result of automatic running of xdg-config-dirs-update on login (normally, so as to allow the system a change to re-internationalize those directory names if you change locale) when the directories which you now restored were missing, but as to why they went missing in the first place I couldn't tell you.
That's mighty strange. I do have windows 10 in stalled but on a separate drive. The way I set it up was like this:
Disconnected the windows drive(1TB)
Installed mint mate to 2TB drive.
Re-Connected the windows drive
I haven't tried to access the windows drive from mint, I know you can but I haven't bothered.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 am

Just to be sure, what does mount | grep /home from a terminal say (if anything)? You can select the output with the mouse and rightclick-copy, and paste into the message here (I am looking to find out the filesystem type of the filesystem your home directory is part of).

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 10:17 am

rene wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 am
Just to be sure, what does mount | grep /home from a terminal say (if anything)? You can select the output with the mouse and rightclick-copy, and paste into the message here (I am looking to find out the filesystem type of the filesystem your home directory is part of).
Last edited by Richardj on Sun May 05, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 am

I believe you may want to remove that post as it seems there might be a password visible? (also just reported such to a moderator, so maybe he/she is faster).

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 10:25 am

rene wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 am
I believe you may want to remove that post as it seems there might be a password visible? (also just reported such to a moderator, so maybe he/she is faster).
Removed attachment.
How do I post what you have asked for from the terminal with out password?
Entering mount | grep /home comes back with as per the attachment below.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-05-05 15-26-21.png

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun May 05, 2019 10:33 am

Had in fact already mentioned as much: select the text with the mouse in the terminal (i.e., left-click before first to be selected character and drag mouse while keeping the button depressed to after last, let go of left button), right-click highlighted text, choose copy, right-click in message here and choose paste.

BUT. I already saw that the output was in fact empty, which is to say your home directory is not on a separate partition, in turn to say you haven't somehow managed to place your home directory on an e.g. NTFS-formatted separate partition. I take it then the desktop.ini is a result of you having accessed your drive from another Windows system using the network? Or something? In any case, it means it's apparently not important. You can just delete that desktop.ini if you care to.

Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj » Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am

rene wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:33 am
Had in fact already mentioned as much: select the text with the mouse in the terminal (i.e., left-click before first to be selected character and drag mouse while keeping the button depressed to after last, let go of left button), right-click highlighted text, choose copy, right-click in message here and choose paste.

BUT. I already saw that the output was in fact empty, which is to say your home directory is not on a separate partition, in turn to say you haven't somehow managed to place your home directory on an e.g. NTFS-formatted separate partition. I take it then the desktop.ini is a result of you having accessed your drive from another Windows system using the network? Or something? In any case, it means it's apparently not important. You can just delete that desktop.ini if you care to.
I have deleted that desktop.ini. No I haven't accessed the windows drive from mint so have no idea how this all happened. So long as it's all good now that's all that matters.
Once again many thanks for your help. It's a learning curve coming from windows, although I use to use mate last year but my PC went up in smoke and I had to get a new PC and that came with windows on it and just didn't get the time to put mint back on, but have now, if it goes the same as last time I have mate I used windows less and less.

Return to “MATE”