Lost workspace, video running. Can't regain control or video. requires restart

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Lost workspace, video running. Can't regain control or video. requires restart

Post by Wade Patton » Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 pm

It's difficult to search when you don't know what to call it, and I did try. I love finding solutions without exposing my ignorance of the problems. I did confirm that this is MATE, Mint 18.3 latest 4.4.0 kernel.

So I understand if I get sent off into a more specific place to find the answer. And I don't see the point in rattling off a lot of un-necessary information until someone knows what they need to see.

Here's what happens: as I use a wireless keyboard, it's never in the same place and gets bumped now and then. I'll have a video/movie/music running in one of the four workspaces and the keyboard gets bumped and the workspace disappears, but keeps running without regard to anything I can figure to do with the keyboard or mouse. I have to restart the machine.

AND in at least one instance the "auto-recovery" feature restarted me to the SAME conditions with audio running and no way to shut it down or regain control.

It has happened at least a half-dozen times in the last month or two. It tried to restart back into that state at least twice. I haven't seen the restart "as before" option lately though. Crash recovery mode maybe? Thanks for any ideas on where to find more info or what other info is needed here. I can cut/paste into the terminal about as good as anybuddy. :roll:

I have mashed every button and a lot of combinations on this Logitech keyboard but never been able to replicate the issue. thanks again.

Wade Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost workspace, video running. Can't regain control or video. requires restart

Post by Wade Patton » Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm

I think the "restore session" thing is a browser feature, so nevermind that.

Unless it's a related issue.

What other information can I submit to help someone understand the issue?

Or is there another term/s that I should use in searching for a fix?

The halibut is that I cannot replicate the issue unless I throw the keyboard around and it bounces off the magical key combination.

I think it usually happens when I've Kodi in one workspace and Mozilla in one or two other workspaces, as in playing background music or I took off to look up something but left a video running in the browser.

I thought maybe I was accidentally sending the video off to a second monitor, but I don't have a dual monitor capable system at this point. Thanks for reading.

Return to “MATE”