How do I install Mate ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
console65

How do I install Mate ?

Post by console65 »

How do I uninstall 19.1 Cinnamon and install Mate instead?

Just installed Cinnamon on my new Chuwi Aerobook with m3-6Y30 and 8Gb dual-channel and it's much faster than Windows 10 but sill kind of laggy. Should Install Mate or LMDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Where is Mate ?

Post by smurphos »

console65 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm How do I uninstall 19.1 Cinnamon and install Mate instead?

Just installed Cinnamon on my new Chuwi Aerobook with m3-6Y30 and 8Gb dual-channel and it's much faster than Windows 10 but sill kind of laggy. Should Install Mate or LMDE?
You'd be better of starting your own thread for advice in this area as the thread is scientifically about installing Mate in LMDE which isn't really relevant to you as a current main edition Cinnamon user.

But you've basically got 3 choices....

1) Download a Mint 19.1 MATE edition ISO and reinstall from scratch using that.
2) Install MATE as a secondary DE in addition to Cinnamon and pick and choose from the login screen - apt install mint-meta-mate in the terminal will do it for main edition Mint.
3) Persevere with Cinnamon and seek advice on tweaking it to your liking or mitigating any performance issues.

I wouldn't bother with LMDE - it ships with Cinnamon and I suspect your hardware may not get on with the Debian Stable kernel....

Of options 1 and 2 above, 1 is 'cleaner'. If you go with 2 whichever desktop you use you will get a little bit of duplication of day to day tools (terminal apps, File Managers, some settings modules) which may cause confusion for a new Mint user, and some posters on the boards will swear that having multiple desktop environments installed is a sure-fire route to a broken install. But I've not come across any major issue both MATE and Cinnamon on the same installation myself.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How do I install Mate ?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Split off into its own topic and moved out of the LMDE area. Carry on.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “MATE”