Converted from Cinnamon to Mate

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jeffk969
Level 1
Level 1

Converted from Cinnamon to Mate

Post by jeffk969 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:39 pm

And it was a very, very good decision.... Damn good....

I really like Cinnamon, but there were too many times it took 5, 10, 15 seconds to open a program/app.
So I backed up important files, did a clean install of Mate 19.1. After some time learning how to customize
the desktop appearance, installing packages, importing my files, getting the system to norm, I have to say
I can't believe how much quicker Mate is. I use Mint XFCE for my other desktop & laptop, but never using Mate
before. I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.

Best couple hours I've spent in a while, concerning PC's. I really like, after I figured it out, how to do the custom
appearance with the windows borders, theme. It's cool. My Kmymoney is so much quicker. Firefox. You name it,
it's quicker. I've only been using Linux for about 18 months, have read thing about Mate. Now I know why it has
it's dedicated following....

Cheers to you Mate...

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Converted from Cinnamon to Mate

Post by majpooper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 pm

I am glad MATE is working out for you. Just curious what you are running it on to see such a difference. What CPU and how much RAM to you have?

ColdBootII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ColdBootII » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:19 pm

jeffk969 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:39 pm
I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.
And if you plunge yourself into using it in conjunction with Compiz Window Manager, given the level of details that can be tweaked and customized through it, you'll also find out that, in terms of functionality, it's not legging far behind KDE5!

Cheers and welcome to the club. :D

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 am

Yeah, I jumped ship to Mint XFCE about 3-4 months ago for the same reason.

Despite 8 GB RAM and an AMD A8 CPU I was getting a little annoyed by the slow speed of boot-up and opening certain apps. It wasn't even a very old install of 19.1 so there shouldn't have been to much clutter to slow things down. Anyway, no regrets. And I don't miss any of the so-called bells and whistles Cinnamon is supposed to have over XFCE.

Return to “MATE”