Add Documents folder back to Caja Places?[Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Add Documents folder back to Caja Places?[Solved]

Post by ColdBootII »

I was just fiddling with Mate 1.22 in the new 19.2 and somehow I've managed to remove Documents from the Places pane. :mrgreen: It was removed from /home/user/.config/user-dirs.dirs and now can't bring it back by manually adding the XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents" into the file.

Is this yet another bug or I'm missing a step? (tried logging out, that didn't help).

Edit: xdg-user-dir DOCUMENTS outputs my home folder as Documents folder now. :mrgreen:

Edit2: I don't know how this odd baby wandered into the user-dirs.dirs: XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/" It was kind of invisible at the first glance :mrgreen:
Removing the oddity and xdg-user-dirs-update fixed it.
Last edited by ColdBootII on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Add Documents folder back to Caja Places?[Solved]

Post by ColdBootII »

One more thing, it stubbornly refuses to reapear in otherwise broken Mint Menu. :lol:

Edit: fixed that by adding a custom place in preferences. Still, as it is impossible to add new items to mintMenu manually, perhaps the only resolve is switching to gm's PPA.

Edit2: though luck, nope... Even with gm's newest version of mintMenu, editing/adding custom shourtcuts to an application doesn't work from Edit Menu context.

Edit3: well, gm's PPA Mint Menu is editable, meaning it's possible to add new items by hand, but those invariably go to "Other" category although, dragging and dropping to a proper one works.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Add Documents folder back to Caja Places?[Not Solved]

Post by ColdBootII »

I rebooted, tried to access some files in the Documents folder via menu and now it won't open it even though it's there. :lol:
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

What does find ~ -name "Documents" run in a terminal return?
Also cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ColdBootII wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:18 pm
Edit: fixed that by adding a custom place in preferences. Still, as it is impossible to add new items to mintMenu manually, perhaps the only resolve is switching to gm's PPA.

Edit2: though luck, nope... Even with gm's newest version of mintMenu, editing/adding custom shourtcuts to an application doesn't work from Edit Menu context.

Edit3: well, gm's PPA Mint Menu is editable, meaning it's possible to add new items by hand, but those invariably go to "Other" category although, dragging and dropping to a proper one works.
Ok, a couple of things regarding the editor:
  • my PPA doesn't include a custom version of the menu editor at this time because I didn't expect Clem to distribute a broken version, which he did however. two actually, on the .iso he distributes menulibre, which can partially break the menu, and via the repository he distributes a very old broken build of mozo that I had fixed upstream back in February and which is both broken in functionality and can entirely break the menu. It's all a bit sad.
  • I knew beforehand that he was going to put the broken menulibre on the .iso so the version of mintmenu from my PPA will install mozo for you even if you did a fresh install from the .iso, because I didn't expect him to put a broken version of mozo in the repository. I haven't looked at the rest of the desktop environment in the repository but it's probably all outdated builds as well (I am running my own builds of MATE, not Mint's). Anyway, just to explain the difference in editor you're seeing in case this was a clean install.
  • I'll probably have to put a fixed build of the editor in the PPA...
Alright, now back to your actual menu problems, I'm not entirely sure why you're in the menu editor adding entries when the thread is about the Documents folder in Places? Anyway, first here's a few commands to hopefully repair the damage the broken menu editors did to your menu (this will reset most customizations you made to the menu structure but keep changes you made to individual launchers):

Code: Select all

rm ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/user-*.menu
rm ~/.config/menus/*.menu
Then press Alt+F2 and run mate-panel --replace.

Now, to get the Documents folder into the Locations section of mintmenu there are several ways. By default this is loaded from the GTK Bookmarks, assuming you've got them enabled as a source. Those typically mirror the user-dirs.dir and you can re-generate them as such by deleting ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks (which would reset all your custom bookmarks) and then running xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update, but otherwise you can also simply go to the Bookmarks menu of Caja, Edit Bookmarks... and then add it there, as well as whichever other folder you like. If you just want it back for the menu but not in your regular bookmarks, then in the menu's preferences you can add it as a custom location at the bottom of the Locations section.
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Sorry for hijacking my own thread. :oops: This all happened while I was trying to get more organized since the number of custom scripts I use has outgrown my capacity to remember all the keyboard shortcuts I have attached them to, so there's a connection however loose.

I did dist-upgrade, haven't had the time for a clean install. LibreMenu is not installed and Mozo is the 1.22.0-1+tina version. It is usable, but in an sort of unexpected way. :mrgreen:
gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:37 am

Code: Select all

rm ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/user-*.menu
rm ~/.config/menus/*.menu
Then press Alt+F2 and run mate-panel --replace.

Now, to get the Documents folder into the Locations section of mintmenu there are several ways. By default this is loaded from the GTK Bookmarks, assuming you've got them enabled as a source. Those typically mirror the user-dirs.dir and you can re-generate them as such by deleting ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks (which would reset all your custom bookmarks) and then running xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update, but otherwise you can also simply go to the Bookmarks menu of Caja, Edit Bookmarks... and then add it there, as well as whichever other folder you like. If you just want it back for the menu but not in your regular bookmarks, then in the menu's preferences you can add it as a custom location at the bottom of the Locations section.
Cheers gm10 :D this fixed the problem, and I'll carefully note bookmarks actual location for reference, in case I ever repeat "the steps" :mrgreen: that caused this mess.

(cheers smurphos :D )
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ColdBootII wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:07 am
I did dist-upgrade, haven't had the time for a clean install. LibreMenu is not installed and Mozo is the 1.22.0-1+tina version. It is usable, but in an sort of unexpected way. :mrgreen:
Yes, you only get menulibre on a clean install (from what I saw Clem's packaging is so broken that you won't have a menu editor at all if you install the MATE desktop later as an alternative desktop...). Be careful with that Mozo version. If you try to drag & drop something you'll break the entire menu as far as I recall (been half a year that I fixed that :P). I'll throw a working version on the PPA I guess.
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:39 am
Be careful with that Mozo version. If you try to drag & drop something you'll break the entire menu as far as I recall
Thanks for the heads up gm, much obliged,
Cheers! :D
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ColdBootII wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:06 pm
gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:39 am
Be careful with that Mozo version. If you try to drag & drop something you'll break the entire menu as far as I recall
Thanks for the heads up gm, much obliged,
There's now a patched version on the PPA so assuming you kept the PPA, as soon as you installed that update to mozo you can menu edit again as much as you want. :D
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Thanks man, I appreciate it very much,

Return to “MATE”