Desktop does not respond to left mouse button

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sail323
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop does not respond to left mouse button

Post by Sail323 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am

I have Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon with MATE desktop dual-booting with Windows 10 which had been working well for several months. This morning when I booted to Linux Mint I found that the desktop would not respond to either the left mouse button or the left touch pad button. I tried switching between Cinnamon and MATE desktops and I finally tried 'sudo timeshift --restore' but nothing changed.

Where should I look next?

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Desktop does not respond to left mouse button

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:25 pm

Sail323 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am
I have Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon with MATE desktop dual-booting with Windows 10 which had been working well for several months. This morning when I booted to Linux Mint I found that the desktop would not respond to either the left mouse button or the left touch pad button. I tried switching between Cinnamon and MATE desktops and I finally tried 'sudo timeshift --restore' but nothing changed.

Where should I look next?
Is it the desktop that does not allow the left click or the panel? If it's the panel, right click the panel and turn off the panel edit mode.

Sail323
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Desktop does not respond to left mouse button

Post by Sail323 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:58 am

It ended up being a program called 'xbindkeys' that was loading at startup even though I had previously disable that from happening. I use it for mouse control of MythTV. It converts mouse clicks into keystrokes.
The Left mouse button was being converted to into a SpaceBar keystroke, so it was like hovering the mouse pointer over an object on the screen and pressing the spacebar instead of clicking the left mouse button.

Return to “MATE”