Before you post please read how to get help
LennartL
Level 2
Level 2

Desktop freez.

Post by LennartL » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:17 pm

I have Mint 19.2 Mate on my computer.
I chance my Windows Manager to Compiz
and now I cant do anything with my computer.
When I klick on the desktop anywhere the light will go darker.
And when I klick again it will go lighter again.
But thats all I can do.
Nothing else.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Desktop freez.

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Hopefully you have a Timeshift restore point. If you do, boot a live session and launch Timeshift. It will locate the snapshot and you can restore your system.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

kelebek333
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelebek333 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Access to TTY1 terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1 keys combination. After, enter your username and password and run following command for back default window manager.

Code: Select all

wm-recovery
You can try to add intel_idle.max_cstate=1 parameter to solving "Compiz freezing issue" for Intel device with following commands.

echo 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX intel_idle.max_cstate=1"' | sudo tee  /etc/default/grub.d/intel-cstate.cfg

sudo update-grub

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:16 pm

if you played with compiz a timeshift restore will not work this time since all compiz profiles are on the user folders. i don't have compiz anymore and forget where all the compiz settings are stored. i would look for any .compiz and delete them
use ctrl+alt+T and hopefully you get a terminal

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
or if you can get to control settings where you changed to compiz, change it back to marco

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:09 pm

trytip wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:16 pm
if you played with compiz a timeshift restore will not work this time since all compiz profiles are on the user folders. i don't have compiz anymore and forget where all the compiz settings are stored. i would look for any .compiz and delete them
use ctrl+alt+T and hopefully you get a terminal

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
or if you can get to control settings where you changed to compiz, change it back to marco
I don't understand this about Timeshift. I just opened compiz and put a tic in every box I could including the ones warning of conflicts. Then rebooted to see if it even would. Then I used Timeshift to restore. It did a complete restore and all the settings were as before ever touching compiz. Perhaps I missed something as I don't profess to know much about compiz. This was done on Mate 19.2.
This is how Timeshift is configured
Timeshift.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 am

@blueocean
ok, in your instance timeshift will restore your home directory, which timeshift is not set to do so by default. personally i will not backup my home any longer with timeshift, but yeah if the op did what you did he'd be eating brownies right now.
be very careful with backing up your home directory with timeshift especially the .config .local and .cache folders takes a bit of skill to know what to include and exclude.

if you have to extra hard drive space it's a logical decision to back up everything but people need to realize that backing up is not supposed to be set it and forget it. it's a mindless program and needs the user input

Return to “MATE”