Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Keyboard shortcuts... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

Using LMv19.2 MATE

New install of the operating system a few days ago.

As is my wont I set up numerous Keyboard Shortcuts. Apart from email and the web browsers, the modifier key for each shortcut was mode4 (the Windows key)+(a letter of the alphabet).

Everything worked flawlessly until today. The shortcuts do not work unless I have the Control Panel - Keyboard Shortcuts window open.

(1) Is anyone able to suggest why this may be so and, even better, advise me what I may need to reinstall to solve the problem, please?

(2) Also, to overcome the task of setting up Keyboard Shortcuts on a new install, what is the file I should save before a new installation, please?
Last edited by tenfoot on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Keyboard shortcuts...

Post by smurphos »

Try running this command in a terminal to cure the issue which sounds like you dconf backend is owned by root.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME
The keyboard shortcuts are stored in the dconf backed which is a database in your home folder. Keybinding are in several different locations so it might be easier to just back up all MATE related settings for later restore

This command will write all mate settings to a text file which can then be used to restore

dconf dump /org/mate/ > mate.settings
The restore command.

dconf load /org/mate/ < /path/to/mate.settings
It's normally a good idea to log off and back on immediately after doing a wholesale restore of this nature.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 am
Try running this command in a terminal to cure the issue which sounds like you dconf backend is owned by root.

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME
Ran the command but the problem was not solved :(
The keyboard shortcuts are stored in the dconf backed which is a database in your home folder. Keybinding are in several different locations so it might be easier to just back up all MATE related settings for later restore
This command will write all mate settings to a text file which can then be used to restore

dconf dump /org/mate/ > mate.settings
Have run the command and created the backup successfully.
The restore command.

dconf load /org/mate/ < /path/to/mate.settings
Will use this, as necessary.
It's normally a good idea to log off and back on immediately after doing a wholesale restore of this nature.
Will certainly do as suggested.

My apologies for the long delay in replying to your prompt reply to my enquiry. Unfortunately, real life tends to get in the way of my interests :D

Another thing I've found very peculiar related to this problem, is that if I have another window open - and it can be any window - the keyboard shortcuts work without any problem.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

tenfoot wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:13 am
(1) Is anyone able to suggest why this may be so and, even better, advise me what I may need to reinstall to solve the problem, please?
Not really. Have you tried logging out and back in or even better, rebooting? Could be the dbus backend crashed.

Reinstalling would be

apt reinstall mate-settings-daemon
but I doubt that's the problem.

You could create another user, log into that one check if the keyboard shortcuts work. If they do it's something about your configuration.
smurphos wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 am
Yep. It's an ever better idea to log off before restoring them and do the restoration in a virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F1). Generally you'll want to avoid replacing an application's settings while that application is running.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Keyboard shortcuts... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

This problem has been solved solved in a most unexpected way.
To make the story short. I had a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse,controlled through a usb transmitter. Abandoned the mouse several months ago,when it refused to work. Two days ago the keyboard was unresponsive. Inserted new batteries but problem remained. Then noticed that the transmitter lights were flashing - not connecting the keyboard (?). So, I retrieved an old Microsoft with a PS2(?) connection and plugged it in. Now the keyboard shortcuts work as they should and there is a very happy geriatric sitting and typing this message.
tenfoot

Return to “MATE”