Replacement calendar for the panel?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Replacement calendar for the panel?

Post by Ebere »

Ok, first I want to say, I am talking about the very simple calendar that sits on the panel.

I am not interested in a calendar app. Or calendar program. Etc... That you open up elsewhere, and has a bajillion bells and whistles.

I don't want something to set reminders on. Or all the other bajillion other things people do with their calendars. I want to see what day it is. And occasionally I want to see the entire month represented. And want to see what major holidays there are in that month.

I like the simple little calendar that sits on the panel. You click on it, and a calendar of the month shows up. The only objection that I have, is that none of the major holidays is ever marked.

That's all I want. To add the major holidays to the calendar that already sits on the panel.

Is there a way to do this? Or a replacement for that calendar, that DOESN'T have all kinds of fluff added to it?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Replacement calendar for the panel?

Post by AZgl1500 »

I went through all of that, and the major problem is the calendar ONLY RESIDES on that one PC.

I defaulted back to the online Google Calendar, which can be preset to give notifications or not.
I find it much faster, and more reliable.

I know that is NOT what you wanted to hear, but there it is.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Are you using Mint? If so, the default time on the right end of the panel can be set to show the time, day, and date. Even if you set to show time only, hovering the mouse pointer over it will pop up the day and date. Left clicking on it will pop up a small calendar of the current month.

To set it, right click on it for a pop up menus for settings. The left click calendar also has a button for more settings.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

amps007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amps007 »

Newbie here,
thanks for the answer. I've been trying all morning. :) my first time in ANY forum other than guitars. :)

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Ebere wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:20 pm
That's all I want. To add the major holidays to the calendar that already sits on the panel.
You want it. What are major holidays? What Religion? What Country? What Language? What...
And a programmer should know exactly YOUR preferences...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I realise that this answer will go beyond your simple requirement but hope it is useful.

Some years ago I wanted what you are enquiring about but failed to find such a calendar. However, I did discover Osmo! It has a Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Notes facility but any of them can be hidden from view, if desired.

The Calendar section can read Ical data. For my purpose, I downloaded Holidays for New Zealand, and also school terms and configured Osmo to display them on the dates they occured. Configuring Osmo is "easy peasy". Believe me, it has to be, otherwise I'd be lost!
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “MATE”