Blank screen aftert starting session

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CapnShiner
Level 1
Level 1

Blank screen aftert starting session

Post by CapnShiner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:39 am

OK, so I really don't understand this problem. Everything works fine while running off the live cd. I didn't have this problem with the Cassandra beta. However, I just installed the Cassandra final version from the cd and there's a problem with the display or something.

I boot up and get to the Mint login screen. I enter my username and password and press enter to start the session. I then get a black background and the splash screen showing the scripts that are starting, such as Nautilus. Then I get a black background with a white bar at the bottom where the toolbar should be for a few seconds before the entire screen turns white. I still have a mouse cursor, but everything is white behind it. If I point and click where you normally would to open the mint menu, then click as if to open something from it, the mouse cursor changes as if things were working normally and I just opened an application.

My system is an Athlon XP 2100, 512mb RAM, IDE 40gb HD, and GeForce MX4000 graphics card.

Bianca worked fine. Cassandra beta worked fine. Cassandra final live cd works fine. Only Cassandra final, fully installed, seems to have a problem. Any ideas?

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:00 am

have you run envy yet?
did you use the legacy drivers?

sounds like a video driver problem.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

CapnShiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CapnShiner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:15 am

Boo wrote:have you run envy yet?
did you use the legacy drivers?

sounds like a video driver problem.

I agree that it seems like a video driver problem. I'm not sure how to run envy or use legacy drivers from the console. I'm kind of a noob. The only way to log in to actually do anything is if I change the session options to only load into a terminal. That reminds me.....I did log in that way and updated what I could with apt-get. It didn't change anything, but at least I'm up to date now :P

Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 am

Personally, I usually go with

Code: Select all

sudo envy -t
Then password, then follow the menu... works pretty well for me. :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.

CapnShiner
Level 1
Level 1

failed

Post by CapnShiner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:16 am

Sorensei wrote:Personally, I usually go with

Code: Select all

sudo envy -t
Then password, then follow the menu... works pretty well for me. :wink:
OK, I tried loading Envy both with automatic install of nvidia drivers and with manual install, choosing the lowest option. both times, it caused xserv to crash. Same error as another post I saw about envy problems. I'm still stuck. Any other ideas?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:47 am

Start envy and uninstall the driver
then install
and hopefully this helps you
exit recovery mode by typing the command "exit"
If not post back - we'll have to use the heavy artillery :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

CapnShiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CapnShiner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Husse wrote:Log into recovery mode.
Start envy and uninstall the driver
then install
and hopefully this helps you
exit recovery mode by typing the command "exit"
If not post back - we'll have to use the heavy artillery :)
Just to clarify, when you say "then install," are you saying to reinstall the nvidia driver with Envy or are you saying to reinstall Mint?

I also do not know how to log into recovery mode. I use a USB keyboard and a USB KVM switch, so when I boot from the live cd, I cannot choose any options. I just have to wait until it starts up on its own. If I install the driver through Envy and then reboot, I cannot start GDM again because it says the nvidia kernel is missing a file or something. I forget the exact wording. At that point, I have tried uninstalling the driver through the terminal but I get the same error when I reboot. I did not try installing the driver again at that point. Instead, I just reinstalled Mint altogether to fix the xserver. I will try your suggestion just as soon as someone tells me how to get to recovery mode.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm

A couple of things
It's no good idea to run Envy on the live CD, but I thought you had installed?
If you have installed you choose "Recovery mode" at boot time. If there's only one operating system on the computer the grub screen is not visible normally.
Press the escape button right after the BIOS screen has disappeared.
If Mint hasn't been too battered first uninstall and the install the driver. I did not envisage being misinterpreted here :)
We should not have to reinstall Mint I hope

CapnShiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CapnShiner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:05 pm

A couple of things
It's no good idea to run Envy on the live CD, but I thought you had installed?
If you have installed you choose "Recovery mode" at boot time. If there's only one operating system on the computer the grub screen is not visible normally.
Press the escape button right after the BIOS screen has disappeared.
If Mint hasn't been too battered first uninstall and the install the driver. I did not envisage being misinterpreted here Smile
We should not have to reinstall Mint I hope
I was not running envy form the live cd, I did install Mint to the HD first. It is the only operating system, so no grub. All I needed to know was how to get to the options at boot time. I'm fairly new to Linux, so I'm used to pressing F8 for the Windows startup. That obviously does not work in Mint.

I would like to thank all of you for the help, but I think I actually found the solution on my own. I reinstalled Mint, went to the terminal, and installed the driver with Envy. This time, however, when it asked if I wanted it to automatically change xorg.conf, I said no. I allowed the computer to reboot and started a normal session without the blank screen. I hope I don't have any further trouble and that this topic will be useful if anyone else has the same issue.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:55 am

the only problem is that you installed the driver but are not using it. :shock:

the xorg.conf file defines what video diver to use, among other things.

Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:26 am

Ok, you've learned a few things :)
But you have grub anyway, just not an elaborate one :)
Remember where you have recovery mode, and that you exit it with exit, just in case...
Do the following:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
look up the section for your video driver, should look something like this
Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
Driver "nv"
EndSection
Your card could be identified but I guess the driver is nv.
Change that to nvidia and you use the driver you just installed
This is a bit tricky, but helluva bit simpler than in Windows when things are screwed up there.

Return to “MATE”