Delayed Login window!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cespinal
Level 2
Level 2

Delayed Login window!

Post by cespinal »

Hey guys!! I am having a couple of small issues here, just want to know if im able to solve them:

First: when system is resuming from suspend, the system shows the desktop and all applications, takes some seconds to boot, some more seconds to get online, and AFTER all that, the login windows appears, asking for the password as usual!!. Shoulndt this window show up first before everythin? how could I fix that?

Second: sometimes I turn off the computer, and when I turn it on again and the system boots, all the windows and applications I left open are back again!... looks like the RAM is not being emptied when I shut down the system.

thanks again for your time and patience :D
cheers.
Carlos.
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Delayed Login window!

Post by Kaye »

Carlos,
What edition are you running? I don't know about the first issue, but with the second one, you most likely have "Remember current applications" selected somewhere, causing the system to remember the applications you have running when you quit, and bring them back when you return.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

cespinal wrote:and AFTER all that, the login windows appears, asking for the password as usual!!. Shoulndt this window show up first before everythin? how could I fix that?
Nope, the desktop windows/login should show up, when the system is ready to use
--not the other way around; I prefer the Linux method/style, I know that when I login I can use the system, and not be delayed by application or service startups..

The delay is on the boot or on the desktop, different OS 's have decided which to show first
  • If the desktop shows before it is ready to use and lets you login
    --then the delay is starting the application/services needed to be ready to use
  • If the desktop shows up when it is ready to use
    -- the delay is in the initial appearance of the login window.
cespinal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cespinal »

Oh Okay okay!, so this is supposed to be a normal operation.

Regarding "remembering running applications when logging off, yes, I noted that option on the startup sessions menu, I unchecked it, but the applications still show up everytime I boot the system. :(
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

cespinal wrote:Oh Okay okay!, so this is supposed to be a normal operation.

Regarding "remembering running applications when logging off, yes, I noted that option on the startup sessions menu, I unchecked it, but the applications still show up everytime I boot the system. :(
It keeps the config file from the last good boot with the "remember" flag. Reenable the feature. Make sure all windows are closed. Reboot then disable it, reboot again. Should work then...
cespinal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cespinal »

lagagnon wrote:
cespinal wrote:Oh Okay okay!, so this is supposed to be a normal operation.

It keeps the config file from the last good boot with the "remember" flag. Reenable the feature. Make sure all windows are closed. Reboot then disable it, reboot again. Should work then...
That certainly did the job! thanks for the quick advice. For the record, I had no need of rebooting, logging off will just suffice.

Cheers!!!

Return to “MATE”