Window 'Previews' on Taskbar Corrupted

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kirk

Window 'Previews' on Taskbar Corrupted

Post by Kirk »

I've recently installed Mint 20 MATE on two systems, and on both I am having intermittent issues where the window "preview" (when you mouse over a window on the window list) are corrupted.

Both systems where I'm having the issue are nVidia graphics cards with multi-monitor setups running fresh installs of Mint 20 MATE.

It seems to work OK sometimes and seems to not depend on what the program is, for example the Terminal does it sometimes and sometimes it's fine.

Another commonality might be the issue seems to happen only when the window is minimized. (which ironically is when a preview might be most useful!)

To illustrate, here's a terminal behaving correctly:

And here's a terminal with a corrupted preview:

Here's a corrupted preview happening for Discord:

Is this a known bug? Any information I could contribute to help with troubleshooting and patching this issue?

Thanks!
Kirk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
peterling
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Window 'Previews' on Taskbar Corrupted

Post by peterling »

Hi there,

exact same problem here. But I have upgraded Mint Mate from version 17.3 to 20.1 until today. So I thought thats why I got this problem. I also have an NVIDIA GPU. But now I see that I am not alone. But sorry to say I cannot help you with this problem. :(

But maybe someone else does. :idea:

cheers
Kernel: 5.4.0-109-generic x86_64 (64 bit) - Desktop: Mate/Cinammon Distro: Linux Mint 20.3
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have seen this only a couple times.
I also have nvidia but use the noveau driver.
The last time I noticed a corrupted windows list thumbnail it was for a directory. I restored and then minimized again
and the thumbnail looked normal.
This is on MATE 20. I have not noticed this on my 20.1 but I will make sure to watch more closely
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

all41 wrote:This is on MATE 20. I have not noticed this on my 20.1 but I will make sure to watch more closely
Looks like you're referring to versions of Mint, rather than MATE.

On Mint 20.1, I have MATE 1.24.0 and the Marco (Compton GPU Compositor) window manager, without image corruption...

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.8.0-40-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 info: mate-panel wm: marco 1.24.0 
           dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

This is a known problem with Nvidia. Did you guys happen to suspend/hibernate when it stops working. I read up on the technical reasons in the past and don't remember them specifically. I gnome shell created a Nvidia specific workaround to fix this issue.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
super scooper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by super scooper »

This sometimes happens to me too, but I am not using an nvidia GPU, I am instead using intel integrated graphics.
I am on mint 20.1 MATE, and this happens rarely.
HP Laptop, Intel Core i3-8130U, 119 GiB Samsung MZNLN128HAHQ-000H1 SSD, with Linux Mint 20.1 MATE installed

Custom PC, AMD Ryzen 5600X, 1TB SSD, 6TB HDD, 32gb RAM, Linux mint 20.1 XFCE installed

Return to “MATE”