Mint 20 MATE slow/not working if not external monitor connected [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miguelgb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20 MATE slow/not working if not external monitor connected

Post by miguelgb »

Sorry, I just checked again and there is a new update on Hynix...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

miguelgb wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pmI still have to force power off most of the times and keeps failing at some programs (anything related to webcam, for example). Sometimes it just freezes at start up.
Webcams are usually usb connections in laptops (even internal webcams). You could check by running lsusb to see if it is in the list. Webcams are not part of the graphics or related to X Server.
miguelgb wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 pm Today I had to force poweroff 5 times before it got run OK. Fortunately, this time the System Report detected an error (keyboard):

https://termbin.com/8y4y
That is listed as a Signal trap. That means something happened in the process and the system stopped it from getting serious. I do not know the code well enough to be able to trace it to a source issue.

If it takes a couple of tries before it runs okay, then maybe running journalctl -rb -1 | nc termbin.com 9999 will give some more info on what is not happening correctly. That command will get the boot info from the prior boot return with a url.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
miguelgb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miguelgb »

Here's the link:

https://termbin.com/0jg3

From what I saw, most of the errors involved the peripheral from the machine, but I don't know enough to get more info from the report.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The system actually started normally on that boot. The Navi card (RX 5600M) did not find a connected monitor, but you may not have had one connected anyway.

Code: Select all

Feb 02 09:49:48 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: amdgpu 0000:03:00.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes
Feb 02 09:49:49 miguelgb-G5-5505 systemd[1]: Startup finished in 7.303s (firmware) + 16.894s (loader) + 9.022s (kernel) + 1.460s (userspace) = 34.680s.
Usually, one of the last events which happens before Cinnamon loads on screen is this first line. Right after that was a series of repeated amdgpu kernel panics until I presume you cut the power.

Feb 02 09:50:12 miguelgb-G5-5505 cinnamon-session[1283]: WARNING: t+10.64561s: Detected that screensaver has appeared on the bus
Feb 02 09:50:13 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
Feb 02 09:50:13 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: WARNING: CPU: 10 PID: 790 at drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/../display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c:1656 dm_suspend+0xb6/0xc0 [amdgpu]
=======================================

Considering this situation is still so bad (many attempts to boot before things finally fall into place), perhaps it is time to try some other ideas which were sometimes needed for earlier kernels. Using kernel paramter amdgpu.runpm=0 is a workaround, result for which the second GPU is not turned off when unused so it results in shorter battery life. It may or may not be able to replace your acpi=strict, but, based on what I've read and the issues your computer is having, I would try with both parameters first.

Although others with the laptop and the dual cards in it (one other laptop besides Dell) have found success with the 5.8 kernel, another option is to try the 5.10 kernel. Last I checked there were versions of 5.10.0-xx available in the Ubuntu repositories (see bottom of this page for versions available), but I do not believe they are yet available in Update Manager. Here are instructions for using Mainline – Another Tool to Install Latest Kernel in Ubuntu / Linux Mint if you do not have another way of installing the kernel.

If you use the 5.10 kernel, then I think you may also have to install the firmware for your Navi 10 and Renoir Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux kernel. Instructions for installing firmware can be found in this thread, Drivers for AMD 6800XT, but you would not be installing the sienna cichlid firmware. You would be installing the amdgpu updates for renoir and for navi10.

By the way, your webcam is a usb device.

Feb 02 09:49:48 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0c45, idProduct=671f, bcdDevice=85.02
Feb 02 09:49:48 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
Feb 02 09:49:48 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: usb 3-2: Product: Integrated_Webcam_HD
Feb 02 09:49:48 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: usb 3-2: Manufacturer: CN0M1RXT8LG0006DC0MCA01
Feb 02 09:49:48 miguelgb-G5-5505 kernel: uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Integrated_Webcam_HD (0c45:671f)
miguelgb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miguelgb »

Three poweron in a row and is running OK. No issues at all and now it is detecting the external monitor and the primary! :D

I know is a workaround but it's doing the job.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Great news! Are you using both parameters amdgpu.runpm=0 and acpi=strict?

The people using the first parameter were using it because they were having stability issues after running for a while, or when resuming from sleep mode. No one mentioned using it to get the system to boot or getting the graphics drivers to load, but I'm glad it's working.

Hopefully, performance, stability, and temps will be good. Give it some time and if it remains stable over a period of a couple weeks, maybe it will be time to give MATE another attempt.
miguelgb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miguelgb »

Great news! Are you using both parameters amdgpu.runpm=0 and acpi=strict?
Yes, both of them. Thank you so much for your patience!!!
maybe it will be time to give MATE another attempt.
Yes! But Cinnamon is not bad either. Maybe in a year or so...

Should I put [SOLVED] in the title?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

miguelgb wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 pmShould I put [SOLVED] in the title?
If you feel it is working well enough to mark it solved, edit the title of the very first post in the thread so the thread shows as solved. I think those parameters would work if someone was using MATE, so I do not think it matters you are now using Cinnamon.

If you want to give it a bit more time to make sure all is well, that works too. :)
miguelgb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miguelgb »

One week and still works, I'll put the flag. Thanks again! :D

Return to “MATE”