Dual/double/two volume icons in system tray.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BenFenner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BenFenner »

Linux Mint 20.1 MATE

After some recent updates, I'm now seeing two volume control icons in my system tray.
I only have one set of speakers, and changing the volume on one of the controls changes it for both of them.
Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to happen after each boot, only maybe 50% of the time.

Any ideas how to get back to just one on a regular basis?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.0 MATE
LanceM

Re: Dual/double/two volume icons in system tray.

Post by LanceM »

Post erased due to inaccurate reply. I didn't see it was Mate.
BenFenner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BenFenner »

I've reverted kernels due to another issue. I believe I won't be seeing the double icons until I get onto a newer kernel. If I do see them in the meantime, I'll report back.
I say this because diagnosing the issue now will be very difficult since I don't believe it exists for the kernel I'm on now.
LM21.0 MATE
BenFenner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BenFenner »

Well, I'm back on the latest kernel since I found a work-around for my other issue.
This boot I don't see the dual volume controls, so I guess I'll just sit tight and bump this thread if I ever see them again.
LM21.0 MATE
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

BenFenner wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:17 pm Linux Mint 20.1 MATE

You can force a refresh of the panel, which gets rid of occasional anomalies.

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) then enter this command...

Code: Select all

killall mate-panel
The "kill" sounds deadly, but the panel vanishes for only half a second, then reappears just the way you like it -- all customizations intact.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
BenFenner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BenFenner »

Thanks for the tip ghlee. If I see the issue again, I'll put that command in a start-up task, maybe delayed by a few seconds.
(I'm already having to run compiz --replace ccp 1 second after boot-up to get Compiz to actually "Place Windows".)
LM21.0 MATE
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

BenFenner wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:27 am Thanks for the tip ghlee. If I see the issue again, I'll put that command in a start-up task, maybe delayed by a few seconds.
(I'm already having to run compiz --replace ccp 1 second after boot-up to get Compiz to actually "Place Windows".)

You could add a launcher to your panel for a script that just does the killall to refresh the panel...

To create a script, open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), then copy-and-paste the following two commands, one at a time...

sudo touch /usr/local/bin/panel-refresh
xed admin:///usr/local/bin/panel-refresh
The first command creates a file 'panel-refresh', and the second command opens the empty file with xed text editor in root mode.

With the following, do SELECT ALL to copy the entire block of script code...

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to refresh MATE panel. All panel customizations are preserved.
# Make this script executable with 'chmod +x scriptname'
#
/usr/bin/killall mate-panel
exit
# 
...then tap Ctrl-V to paste the code into the xed editor. Save and close the file.

Make the script executable...

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/panel-refresh
The script is located in a user app search-path subdirectory -- /usr/local/bin -- so you can just type panel-refresh from anywhere on your system.

Use MATE's Add to Panel > Custom Application Launcher, to add a panel launcher for your new panel-refresh script.

Then just click your script launcher any time to quickly and easily refresh your panel.

I don't use compiz, but you should be able to add the line /usr/bin/compiz --replace ccp into your panel-refresh script, immediately ahead of the concluding exit command. Or, if it works better, replace the killall command-line entirely with your compiz command-line.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
BenFenner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BenFenner »

All great suggestions hglee. I will implement something like it if I see the problem return. :D
LM21.0 MATE

Return to “MATE”