[SOLVED - sort of] Panel disappears after reboot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED - sort of] Panel disappears after reboot

Post by CarrotCake »

Hi all,

Normally I'm running Cinnamon, but I thought I'd try MATE as well.
So I installed mate-mint-meta, logged out, selected MATE, all is well.

But after reboot, I only get my wallpaper, and after quite some time, the desktop icons.
But the bottom panel is gone.

I got into a terminal using ctrl-alt-t and ran mate-panel. That works, until I close the terminal, then it's gone again.

Cinnamon runs normally and seems completely unaffected.

I fancy trying MATE, maybe I like it better than Cinnamon (I did try XFCE before, to my personal taste it lacks "oomph"), but to test it properly it needs to run well...

So what am I doing wrong here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Panel disappears after reboot

Post by antikythera »

try creating a separate user account for mate, it's possible that your cinnamon settings stored in your home folder are causing this anomaly
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

antikythera wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:59 pm try creating a separate user account for mate, it's possible that your cinnamon settings stored in your home folder are causing this anomaly
OK, I can try that ... but doesn't that then mean that I can't access my original /home folder?
So I can't share one /home across different desktop managers?

And - how do I create a MATE user, when I'm not supposed to do that in Cinnamon?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

create the new user in MATE desktop environment and unless you've encrypted the home for your normal user you should be able to access the files still.

anyhow the point is to see if there is a complication from using the Cinnamon user profile causing this problem.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Now I can't get a terminal anymore... In MATE that is. I tried the keystroke ctrl-alt-t that did work before.
I think I really broke something.

A well, I think I'll just remove it and stick to Cinnamon. Next time I want to try it, I'll directly install Mint MATE as primary distro.

So, am I right I can just remove it by deinstalling mate-mint-meta from Synaptic?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

No, that will only remove the mate meta, not all the packages it installed. I don't suppose you use Timeshift? If so, then revert to a pre-MATE install snapshot.

Additionally there seems to be some MATE packages installed as default for Cinnamon so removing all traces of MATE would not be wise because you will mess up Cinnamon too.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

antikythera wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 am No, that will only remove the mate meta, not all the packages it installed. I don't suppose you use Timeshift? If so, then revert to a pre-MATE install snapshot.
Actually I did have a good TimeShift snapshot saved... so I reverted to that one.
That works perfectly.

Return to “MATE”