reset/reinstall the start menu?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davpeterson
Level 1
Level 1

reset/reinstall the start menu?

Post by davpeterson »

i installed Linux Mint 20.1 and things were ok, but the panel kept on moving things around and before i knew it, it was centered (not all the way across the screen) and the time had moved to the left and the panel quick-start icons were all the way on the right.

so i tried using MATE Tweak to change the panel layout, and cycled through a few of them, but they didn't seem to be doing much, so i clicked "reset panel" in the right-click menu, and that's when i ended up with this start menu:

the normal "LM" start menu is gone, in its place are 2 menus for "applications" and "system", and there is no "search", or shutdown/restart, or the normal options on the normal Linux Mint start menu. I really miss being able to click the super-key and then start typing an app name, now i have to poke through the menus to find what i want to start.

how do i reset this? is there a hidden directory i can delete and it will rebuild the start-menu when i restart? i've tried different themes with no luck either.

I'm running Linux Mint 20.1 w/ Mate, kernel 5.4.0-70-generic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Re: reset/reinstall the start menu?

Post by rudar »

Press Alt and F2 and then type

Code: Select all

mate-terminal
After that type in

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
If you reboot and cannot get even terminal to work, then with Alt+F1 you should be able to open Menu and then select what you need. Good luck!
davpeterson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davpeterson »

nice! all back to normal, didn't even have to reboot, thanks!
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

You are welcome. :D Ancient wisdom.

Return to “MATE”