Proper touchpad right-click

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kudalufi
Level 2
Level 2

Proper touchpad right-click

Post by Kudalufi »

I am trying to get my touchpad to work the same way in Mint/Mate (20.1) as is does in Windows. I don't like the multi-finger tap click to simulate the right button. In windows my touchpad works like they always used to... I click on the left side and it's a left click. Right side=right click. I have turned off the right-click two finger emulation in Mate's mouse control touchpad tab, but can't seem to get the right click to work that way. Is this possible any more?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trax
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Proper touchpad right-click

Post by trax »

Hello

Have you find a solution ?
I'm looking for exactly the same. Double finger right click is not my thing.
Acer Travelmate P414-51
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

A quick search confirmed my suspicion that it can't be done. This doesn't actually have anything do do with you're using Mate or not AFAIK.

At some point you just have to accept that Linux doesn't work like Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trax »

It's not a big deal. I will adapt my use to this two finger right click if there is no more option.

With an old toshiba laptop R630, linuxmint-ed, touchpad was composed with 3 parts : 2 buttons for R and L click, and the touchpad. So no questionning at that time...

Thank you for your answer
Acer Travelmate P414-51
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64
Kudalufi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kudalufi »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:27 am At some point you just have to accept that Linux doesn't work like Windows.
I don't mind Linux not working like Windows. I just mind it not working well. Can this paradigm of multi-touch to simulate different buttons be gotten used to? Sure. Is it intuitive? Think of it this way. Imagine you stuck someone at a Linux laptop, someone who has never used a touchpad before. Ask this person "what do you think is most likely way this computer is set up to differentiate between a left and a right mouse click", how likely do you think the answer they came up with would be "Well, Bob, I think a two finger tap is the way to go"?

In any case, this may be fixable. I found this thread that speaks about the synaptics input driver. I now primarily run Linux through VirtualBox on Windows with the Mate toolbar on top, so this is mostly moot, but I'll check next time I'm actually booted up in Mint. If anyone gets to this before me, please post your results.
trax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trax »

Kudalufi wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:39 pm...Is it intuitive?
For me not really, maybe due to some old (bad?) habits.
Anyway if somenone fix it, i will save happily one finger for something else :lol:
Acer Travelmate P414-51
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64
jora0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jora0 »

I've just opened preferences-mouse-touchpad then selected
"two-finger click emulator" -- disabled;
"three-finger click emulator" -- disabled
Other options I left as before: selected "Enable touchpad", "enable mouse clicks with touchpad" "vertical edge scrolling", "vertical two-finger scrolling" and "enable natural scrolling
Now right click works as with mouse
Linux Mint Mate 20.2
Dell XPS 15 7590
Pennyroyal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pennyroyal »

I really wish this could be fixed, it just works in Devuan Linux, so it CAN be done.

Apart from this I do like Mint & Mate, but might have to move, I keep mis-clicking the double, and it is infuriating, I have a button that just works on a hardware level, the OS just needs to use that signal!
Pennyroyal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pennyroyal »

Well some updates along the way must have helped,
I chose "Two Finger Click emulation" disabled, and ditto for three finger click emulation.

Now the right trackpad button works as intended, and as a side effect two finger taps STILL work as a right click emulation, so the text in the control panel is flat out wrong and misleading.

Return to “MATE”