"Unlock login keyring" - How fo you disable that?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kool-Aid
Level 1
Level 1

"Unlock login keyring" - How fo you disable that?

Post by Kool-Aid »

Hello Everyone, new to Linux here.

I recently had the latest Linux Mint version (Mate) installed.

It's asking for a "login keyring" which I never created.

For example, I am trying to launch the Remmina application, it asks "Unlock Login Keyring". When I type the password in, it doesn't work.
And then it says:
"The password you use to log into your computer no longer matches that of your login keyring."

That doesn't make any sense. I didn't create one.

Is there a way to disable this "Login keyring" request?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "Unlock login keyring" - How fo you disable that?

Post by rene »

The Login-keyring is on Mint configured on install with a password equal to your user login password which has the keyring unlock automatically when you login (manually, not when you login automatically). Some programs use said Login-keyring to store credentials: Google Chrome most famously but apparently then also Remmina.

If you login manually the easiest solution is going to be to again set your Login-keyring password equal to your user login password: "Passwords and Keys", right-click the Login keyring, Change password. If you don't login manually easiest is to delete your Login-keyring password: same, but leave Password and Confirm fields blank (and note the warning it gives you). Potential other option is to configure Remmina to not use the Login-keyring --- if you can. I've no idea, but Google Chrome can be so configured.
Kool-Aid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Unlock login keyring" - How fo you disable that?

Post by Kool-Aid »

Thank you.

Return to “MATE”