Cannot copy from Xwindows to Wine (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idunno
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot copy from Xwindows to Wine (Solved)

Post by idunno »

Hi. The issue I'm having is I cannot copy and paste from a text file to World of Warcraft which is running under Wine. I might have broken it when I interrupted a download of some fonts in Winetricks.

I encountered this solution here: "in X11.app preferences, make sure that you have pasteboard and clipboard syncing turned on."
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=8334

It sounds like a solution, but I cannot figure out how to do this on my system. I've tried few other solutions and they're apparently dated and don't work.

Thanks
Kevin

Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.4.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.24.0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot copy from Xwindows to Wine

Post by Flemur »

idunno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:55 pmHi. The issue I'm having is I cannot copy and paste from a text file to World of Warcraft which is running under Wine.
What does "paste [] to World of Warcraft" mean? Paste text into a text box in WoWs GUI? What happens?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
idunno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idunno »

Flemur wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm What does "paste [] to World of Warcraft" mean? Paste text into a text box in WoWs GUI? What happens?
Yes, copying / pasting text to and from a text box with ctrl+c or ctrl+v. I copy the text from a text file, switch to the WoW client, try to paste it into a text box, and nothing happens. If I attempt to highlight and copy text, it won't copy it.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

idunno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 pm
Flemur wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm What does "paste [] to World of Warcraft" mean? Paste text into a text box in WoWs GUI? What happens?
Yes, copying / pasting text to and from a text box with ctrl+c or ctrl+v. I copy the text from a text file, switch to the WoW client, try to paste it into a text box, and nothing happens. If I attempt to highlight and copy text, it won't copy it.
I used wine a lot and never had any copy/pasting problems. Note that thread you mentioned was about 10 years old...

What happens with notepad (in a terminal type wine notepad to start it), and copying some text from linux and paste it into the notepad text area?
idunno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idunno »

Flemur wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm What happens with notepad (in a terminal type wine notepad to start it), and copying some text from linux and paste it into the notepad text area?
That works like it should.

I tried three different versions of WoW (1.12 -3.35) and it's the same issue for all three clients. It seems to be limited to WoW.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

idunno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 pm I tried three different versions of WoW (1.12 -3.35) and it's the same issue for all three clients. It seems to be limited to WoW.
Well, it sounds like wine is working OK, you might try a more specialized (WoW) forum. Good luck!
idunno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idunno »

Flemur wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:50 pm
idunno wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 pm I tried three different versions of WoW (1.12 -3.35) and it's the same issue for all three clients. It seems to be limited to WoW.
Well, it sounds like wine is working OK, you might try a more specialized (WoW) forum. Good luck!
Thanks for helping me narrow it down.

Return to “MATE”